Eumovate and Betnovate RD on same scrip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumovate and Betnovate RD on same scrip

I was attending a locum shift last week and this patient handed in a prescription containing the following two steroids:
    Eumovate ointment 100 gram
    Betnovate RD ointment 100 gram

The directions for use were same/similar and they were prescribed originally by dermatologist it seems. Both these steroids are of moderate potency so I was very confused why patient was prescribed both. I tried to query it with the patient but he could not speak English well. It seems however he has been on both for a while from what little I could gather from his comments. Has anyone seems anything like this before? My immediate thoughts were that the GP's probably messed up and prescribed the two together by accident. I asked the patient to go and confirm if he needs to be on both.
    Last edited by Mpharm.; 29th, November 2018, 09:34 PM.

Good question.
    Might just be in the "repeat prescription trap".
    Wonder if they have a 'practice pharmacist' who could be asked?
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

They could be used for different areas of the body. I’ve often seen people with lichens sclerosis prescribed eumovate. Maybe the patient suffers from eczema too and is using the betnovate for a serious flare up, or any combo of two other conditions.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

So simply ask the patient and write it in the PMR notes or record an intervention.
        Similar if you find out info from the prescriber/practice.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          They could be used for different areas of the body. I’ve often seen people with lichens sclerosis prescribed eumovate. Maybe the patient suffers from eczema too and is using the betnovate for a serious flare up, or any combo of two other conditions.
          Hi Admin,

The main issue here is that both the steroids were of same potency (moderate) and even same formulation. Generally speaking, of course you're spot on in the sense that it is relatively common to see steroids of different potencies used together.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
            So simply ask the patient and write it in the PMR notes or record an intervention.
            Similar if you find out info from the prescriber/practice.
            I forgot to mention but I was unable to contact the surgery. I also did not record my intervention (due to time constraints). This place I was working do 20,000 items per month and I was the only pharmacist there on that day! I had to end up cancelling my other shifts there given how the pharmacist manager who is suppose to be working as the 2nd pharmacist there just always decides to pop out on his phone for almost an hour whenever he feels like it. I felt like it would not be safe for me to work in that environment. Anyway, sorry for the little rant.
            Last edited by Mpharm.; 5th, December 2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mpharm. View Post

I forgot to mention but I was unable to contact the surgery. I also did not record my intervention (due to time constraints). This place I was working do 20,000 items per month and I was the only pharmacist there on that day! I had to end up cancelling my other shifts there given how the pharmacist manager who is suppose to be working as the 2nd pharmacist there just always decides to pop out on his phone for almost an hour whenever he feels like it. I felt like it would not be safe for me to work in that environment. Anyway, sorry for the little rant.
              20,000 per month?
              Would be too many for me even when I was at the 'top of my game' - I topped out at 12,000.
              Even that was when we didn't have to 'manage' every prescription on behalf of most of the patients and pack them all into MDS.

I wonder if the regular pharmacist is ducking out to look at job websites to switch career!

Find somewhere less stressful that pays the same where you can fit more service targets in!

How times change.

Comment

Working...
              X