Insulin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulin

Not sure if this is a clinical question, just a very nerdy one, does anyone know why insulins are P meds and not POMs? I imagine its some historical reason?

Yes, have sold OTC several times.
    johnep

Comment

It is a historical issue before the time when insulin was abused.

Comment

I thought they were POM's now?

Comment

Not sure how insulin can be used except to be a murder weapon. Using insulin in this way quite popular on TV crime.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by viru219 View Post
            I thought they were POM's now?
            It is ... but there was one time it wasn't for precisely the reason that it is now abused

Comment

Last night's episode of Endeavour purported to show a victim of Nux Vomica (source of strychnine) poisoning. However the victom showed no sign of the characteristic muscle rigour.
              Supposed to havebeen in a drinks straw. However, if my memory serves me right, would have had a very bitter taste. Mist Pot Brom and Nux Vom was popular "tonic" mixture as supposed to increase muscle "tone. Metatone was a proprietary "tonic" and frequently prescribed".
              johnep.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                Not sure how insulin can be used except to be a murder weapon. Using insulin in this way quite popular on TV crime.
                johnep
                I gather by misuse they're referring to people using it to induce hyperglycaemia and resultant weight loss. Seriously dangerous and stupid thing to do but it certainly happens.

My guess on the P med status would be to avoid delays while we try to figure out if an emergency supply is appropriate.

The real P med mystery is why theophylline is a P considering the narrow therapeutic index and issues surrounding toxicity.
                I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post

I gather by misuse they're referring to people using it to induce hyperglycaemia and resultant weight loss. Seriously dangerous and stupid thing to do but it certainly happens.

My guess on the P med status would be to avoid delays while we try to figure out if an emergency supply is appropriate.

The real P med mystery is why theophylline is a P considering the narrow therapeutic index and issues surrounding toxicity.
                  I though theophylline got a 'licence of right' when brought into the medicines act?
                  Probably hasn't been reviewed?

If I remember Insulin became POM to prevent abuse; the emergency supply rationale was that it could be given out on ES even if POM.
                  Mostly this was before there were so many insulins with the additional expense of the modern types.
                  Used to be U40 and U80 back in those days.
                  Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
                  Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
                  If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

We have had people wanting an ES of a modern insulin. "I only want one, and I don't pay". They seem to find it hard to understand no provision for ES under the NHS. They expect us to break a pack of five and let the others go out of date. We refer them to A+E and they then say " Can't sit and wait all that time"./ Usually they are out of town and it is OOH.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      We have had people wanting an ES of a modern insulin. "I only want one, and I don't pay". They seem to find it hard to understand no provision for ES under the NHS. They expect us to break a pack of five and let the others go out of date. We refer them to A+E and they then say " Can't sit and wait all that time"./ Usually they are out of town and it is OOH.
                      johnep
                      Its one of those things that patients don't understand - a lack of planning on their part becomes 'an emergency' for us.
                      Probably easier to refer them to NUMSAS now.
                      Less of a problem for our Scottish Colleagues with CP(US) scheme I think.
                      Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
                      Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
                      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

Its one of those things that patients don't understand - a lack of planning on their part becomes 'an emergency' for us.
                        Probably easier to refer them to NUMSAS now.
                        Less of a problem for our Scottish Colleagues with CP(US) scheme I think.
                        But referring them to NUMSAS is in breach of the service spec.

Can't believe the mindset at NHS England that develops a service and then insists you can't signpost patients to it if they're in need.
                        I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Working...
                        X