Targeted cancer therapies and diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeted cancer therapies and diet

Hi, i need some advice for a question I have come across during pre-reg.
    what advice would be given to a patient on Pazopanib for renal cancer who read online that probiotics increase the effectiveness of cancer treatments?

I have done lots of reading and can't find anything specific for a TKI, only non-conclusive information of immunotherapy agents.
    Would you advice this patient to take a probiotic supplement?
    thanks in advance.

As far as I’m aware probiotics help with the side effects of Pazopanib, particularly gastric ones so the patient feels better, rather than improving their efficacy. There’s a lot of anecdotal evidence on the internet in various forums of the efficacy reducing gastric effects though the use of a strict diet, and loperamide could be equally as effective.

Have you seen this?
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4041401/

Comment

Originally posted by sparkybw View Post
      As far as I’m aware probiotics help with the side effects of Pazopanib, particularly gastric ones so the patient feels better, rather than improving their efficacy. There’s a lot of anecdotal evidence on the internet in various forums of the efficacy reducing gastric effects though the use of a strict diet, and loperamide could be equally as effective.

Have you seen this?
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4041401/
      Wow thats so helpful thankyou!
      i have read evidence for probiotics to be avoided in neutropenia. If this patient has advanced cancer, do you think their neutrophils should be checked prior to giving advice?

Comment

Originally posted by laurenjo View Post

Wow thats so helpful thankyou!
        i have read evidence for probiotics to be avoided in neutropenia. If this patient has advanced cancer, do you think their neutrophils should be checked prior to giving advice?
        I would imagine that's because neutropaenic patients are at increased risk of severe systemic infections (e.g. neutropaenic sepsis), so probiotics (which contain live bacteria) are probably best avoided.

Comment

Working...
        X