Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

    Might have suggested this before, but its now 2009, a new year for patient safety.

    Now that we have the attention of the PJ and some of the staff read this forum. How about discussing updating the BNF caution labels.
    We need to keep the wording short and sweet like a slogan, as many products end up with > 1 'continuation labels' if we start to get too pedantic with our wording.

    I'm sure our computer suppliers have extended them "unofficially" over the years, as I notice that Pharmacy Manager prints the following.

    Contains Ibuprofen.
    Contains a penicillin

    Further suggestions would be
    Avoid grapefruit juice and whole fruit.
    Limit consumption of grapefruit juice
    If blurred wait until vision clears before driving/operating machinery
    Alert - may cause serious damage to babies if used in pregnancy. (Thalidomide)
    Important : usually weekly dosage. Check with your pharmacist. (methotrexate)

    Any more from the forum?
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

  • #2
    Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

    Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

    Any more from the forum?
    Its always amazed me that gliclazide etc. don't have "Caution: only to be taken by diabetics" on them, as we have to keep them on a seperate shelf, etc.

    When I managed my own place that was the first amendment I made to the supplied warnings.

    The second was to delete "Warning: contains paracetamol" from Paracetamol tablets.

    Another might be to have on methadone "Warning: extremely dangerous if taken by young children" as that was quite a major worry at one time, and - showing my age - the first time CRCs were recommended for use on liquids. I think some addicts used to slip their kids a bit to make them sleep.
    ....just my opinion

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

      Originally posted by DavidS View Post
      Its always amazed me that gliclazide etc. don't have "Caution: only to be taken by diabetics" on them, as we have to keep them on a seperate shelf, etc.

      When I managed my own place that was the first amendment I made to the supplied warnings.

      The second was to delete "Warning: contains paracetamol" from Paracetamol tablets.

      Another might be to have on methadone "Warning: extremely dangerous if taken by young children" as that was quite a major worry at one time, and - showing my age - the first time CRCs were recommended for use on liquids. I think some addicts used to slip their kids a bit to make them sleep.
      I don't particularly agree with removing contains paracetamol for liability reasons. Some "no win no fee" firm would jump on that.

      Rest of your suggestions are great.

      That use of methadone is frightening, but it used to be done with Laudanum (spelling?).
      I usually add "replace cap tightly" if it is more than one dose.

      Forum members : please keep them coming.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

        Just out of curiosity I noticed that BNF-C has aspirin labels 32 and 33 - could anyone clarify this please ?
        http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

        ”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

          which version are you using? BNF-C 2008 has 32 only which makes sense.
          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
          [/COLOR]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

            Yeah label 33 (contains an aspirin like medicine) is included in appendix 3 in BNF-C 2008 but i can't seem to find any product which would have that as a label - suppose label 32 is relevant if prescribing aspirin for anti-platelet effect.
            http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

            ”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

              Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
              Yeah label 33 (contains an aspirin like medicine) is included in appendix 3 in BNF-C 2008 but i can't seem to find any product which would have that as a label - suppose label 32 is relevant if prescribing aspirin for anti-platelet effect.
              Wasn't that aloxiprin.
              Memory of it at the back of my mind for some reason.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

              If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

                Hmm... if considering adding "caution: only to be taken by diabetics" on antidiabetic drugs, why not include a similar label on boxes of insulin ?

                I know this will sound bizarre but what about including keep out of reach of pets ? Dogs running around house + open bottles of tablets =...
                http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

                ”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

                  Some people don't even read the labels let alone the cautions, even when we highlight them.
                  Make some one smile today.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

                    Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                    Hmm... if considering adding "caution: only to be taken by diabetics" on antidiabetic drugs, why not include a similar label on boxes of insulin ?
                    Its if they get given it by mistake. In a recent PJ someone got glibenclamide (I think) in error, and this woud perhaps help them not to take it.

                    Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                    I know this will sound bizarre but what about including keep out of reach of pets ? Dogs running around house + open bottles of tablets =...
                    Yeah, that sounds bizarre.
                    ....just my opinion

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: BNF Caution Labels :: Time for new ones?

                      There are instances when medicines are used outside their licensed indication, eg Metformin tablets (500mg) for PCO (polycystic ovary syndrome). Quinine for night time cramps instead of malaria treatment etc, its i suppose in these circumstances it may be inappropriate to have blanket labelling. However, the numbers of patients using for off label use in comparison to the general population is low.
                      I have had personal experience of where a number of penicillin allergic patients have been prescribed Co-amoxiclav and had they not read the leaflet they would have suffered an adverse event.

                      It is an excellent idea to empower patients with information and their health through education.

                      Grandy

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X