Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post! First Q - Residency

Hi !

I am currently an ATO at a hospital in London and I am hoping to study Pharmacy at University next year (I'm completing an access course from home).

Just one question which I've been curious about...

If you do your pre reg year in a hospital what would your hours generally be / would you work night shifts (whilst being supervised). Also would it then be possible to get a band 6 clinical pharmacy job without the need to cover the residency service (due to lifestyle/family commitments), also is being 'on call' the same as the residency?

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by emunapharm View Post
    Hi !

I am currently an ATO at a hospital in London and I am hoping to study Pharmacy at University next year (I'm completing an access course from home).

Just one question which I've been curious about...

If you do your pre reg year in a hospital what would your hours generally be / would you work night shifts (whilst being supervised). Also would it then be possible to get a band 6 clinical pharmacy job without the need to cover the residency service (due to lifestyle/family commitments), also is being 'on call' the same as the residency?

Thanks a lot!
    Hi Emunapharm!

The normal hours are the main working day between 08:45/09:00 - 5:00-5:30pm, or the hospital may have shift patterns for technical services that you will be rota'ed into e.g. for the dispensary so you may start later and finish later (eg second shift 11-7pm and this would be maybe 1 day in every 8 weeks). Yes there are hospitals that have an on call without having to stay onsite. In these instances you take the pharmacy resources home (book/on call phone) and if the pharmacy is called - you are the designated person who handles all pharmacy enquiries for the hospital and it is only in certain scenarios when you would need to go in and handle the query. This detail isn't usually on the job advert so you would need to contact hospitals when you apply for the job to find out more about their out of hours service.
    There are also band 6 positions with a more 'normal' work day i.e. these posts are not designated/tasked to support the out of hours hospital pharmacy service.
    Last edited by LoroPiana; 18th, August 2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X