Vitamin K injection dilution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin K injection dilution

I read that if IV infusion of vitamin K is to be administered to neonates, it should be diluted with preservative free D5W or WFI. What's the rationale of using preservative free diluent? Does it apply for IV infusion of vitamin K for infants or children? By the way, is using injection vitamin K for oral extemporaneous preparation a common practice in any of ur institution and has its safety been proven? tq

Re: Vitamin K injection dilution

generally, preservatives should be avoided in injections as much as possible.
    multi dose vials will need one, but not single use ampoules.

As a rep I used to promote Konakion paediatric capsules for neonates.... was over 40 years ago.
    johnep

Comment

Konakion MM paediatric is licensed for IV/IM/PO use while 'regular' Konakion MM is only licensed for IV/IM use. They are however as far as i know exactly the same preparation, the only difference being the amount in the ampoule.

We quite commonly use the 'regular' preparation orally, but it does taste really disgusting!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ykw View Post
        I read that if IV infusion of vitamin K is to be administered to neonates, it should be diluted with preservative free D5W or WFI. What's the rationale of using preservative free diluent? Does it apply for IV infusion of vitamin K for infants or children? By the way, is using injection vitamin K for oral extemporaneous preparation a common practice in any of ur institution and has its safety been proven? tq
        Yes, given orally into the mouth is common--konakion comes with oral dosage droppers in the box.

Comment

thanks, everybody, for the replies.

Comment

Working...
          X