X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graham
    replied
    Re: dementia/alzheimers

Hi. your thought is realy liked.. Their carers have the nightmare of watching their lifetime friend and spouse gradually come to regard them as strangers. And their dreams of time together once their children have left home, disappear.
    Last edited by Fleegle; 21, July 2009, 04:25 PM. Reason: Advertising

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
    this might sound stupid, can someone put it for me in simple words what are the actual differences between dementia and alzheimers.
    cheers
    Dementia is a term that encompasses a variety of conditions that include Alzheimers, Lewis Body and Vascular Dementia (and probably some others)

Lewis Body has Parkinsons symptoms as well, and shows changes to the brain that I've mostly forgotten about but that you can look up if you need to.

Vascular dementia, I'm told, has a more sudden deterioration - and statins are indicated to delay that sudden deterioration.

On the other hand if you had Alzheimers or Lewis Body would you want a statin?

And I'll second Gowans post - and in addition suggest that you look through the forums at http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/ (you don't need to join to do so).

Then record it all as CPD

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied

Presented with a dementia sufferer and an Alzeimers pt, I would not know one from another becuse I am not nerologically trained. The distinction is important as it is possible that Alzeimers has some trigger condition and therefore some treatment or possible cure. Dementia will eventually happen to us all as we get older. I probably have slight dementia already compared to what I was 20 years ago.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Gowan
    replied

Alzheimer's is a horrible and much misunderstood condition. There are normally 2 sufferers involved; the one with the disease, and their carer who often is their husband/wife/partner.

Comments about forgetfulness do not even begin to scratch the surface of the horrific condition.

Sufferers gradually lose the logic of doing things, and get frustrated and bewildered and angry.

Their carers have the nightmare of watching their lifetime friend and spouse gradually come to regard them as strangers. And their dreams of time together once their children have left home, disappear.

Some carers don't know about the Alzheimer's Society (http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/) and the respite care they offer; invaluable for carers who otherwise have no time for themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Rafael
    replied

would not both D+A patients wonder ' what was your question'
    i have to admit it that was a funny one but i did not get from the 1st attempt

Leave a comment:

• JonF
    replied

the difference is...what was your question again
    Raoul,
    shwampa's post was an attempt at humour!!

Leave a comment:

• Rafael
    replied

cheers john
    my question was, if you see 2 people in your pharmacy, and you are told that one of them suffers from dementia the other from alzheimers, how would you be able to tell which one suffers from which.

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied

I believe plaques in the brain present in Alzhiemers. At one time thought to be connected to aluminium from water or saucepans.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Shwampa
    replied

the difference is...what was your question again?

Leave a comment:

• Nik
    replied

Hi Raoul
    Basically dementias can be broken down into different "types", of which Alzheimer's is the most common form.
    This C+D link may help further.

http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/...20June%207.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Rafael
    started a topic dementia/alzheimers

dementia/alzheimers

this might sound stupid, can someone put it for me in simple words what are the actual differences between dementia and alzheimers.
    cheers
    Last edited by Rafael; 3, December 2008, 03:57 PM.
Working...
X