Taking 2 SSRI's together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking 2 SSRI's together

Any papers, links, evidence of 2 SSRI's being used together....

Re: Taking 2 SSRI's together

http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/clin...-together.html
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

any info.... on fluoxetine and paroxetine being used together. As well as zopiclone. Any opinions?

Comment

Let's start with the easy bit: Zopiclone is often co-prescribed with SSRIs to counteract sleep disturbances usually at the beginning of an SSRI treatment.

Now, why would you like to give 2 SSRIs? Never came accross it in any protocol and guideline. There's no rationale behind it.

Usually, you dose up the SSRI if still no adequate control (give it time >4 to 6 weeks), you switch or add an augmenting agent.

Fluoxetine is usually given to people who you want to wean off paroxetine, but not together. Those 2 ones are the most P450 interacting SSRis. Paroxetine and the SNRIs Venlafaxine are the nastiest ones for discontinuation symptoms.

Comment

Yes, regarding this query.......

..resolved. It was a forged prescription.

Although through further investigation it became apparent that the patient was in fact on 2 SSRI's (in order to stop one and start other), initially on 40mg of paroxetine (greater incidence of suicidal behaviour), but now reducing and gradual discontinuation replaced by fluoxetine.

But the main point. The prescription was forged to include the second SSRI and zopiclone, rx originating from hospital.

Be careful with hand written scripts, also when are we going to get access to patient records!

Comment

You're trying to teach your granny to suck eggs here sunshine.
            Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

during 2004, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) caused significant toxic effects in 8187 persons, leading to 103 deaths.

patient taking two SSRI together will be more likely to develop serotonin syndrome.

and the above numbers will be higher.
              Last edited by Mrs. Robinson; 29, November 2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
                You're trying to teach your granny to suck eggs here sunshine.
                Take it easy Fleegle.
                Its probably the young pharmacists first forgery and they haven't yet got the experience of the job that you have. Think of it as passing on experience to peers.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I thought this was a forum to share such expirience, to be honest the site was recommended by a friend, but after using it I'm finding it more of a social networking site. Regardless of my expirience I would think such information would be useful to some. Also kindly don't mention my 'granny' again. If you kind such information a source of inexperience, then I alologise, but maybe it's worth passing on to the gentleman who was going to topple himself, and the pharmacist (expirienced may I add) who handed out the medication. It was only when counting the scripts at a shift change did I notice the odd looking script. The drugs were attainded by the police the following day, without any effect to the patient. So to all 'expirienced' pharmacists, please disregard this thread, and my sincere apologies.

Comment

your post was useful, at least for myself, and i am sure the majority on this site as well( majority are students and pre-regs).

welcome to the forum
                    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

apologies for the typing error's, it's my first few days using this iPhone, typing is rather difficult. Please continue.

Comment

i am saving to buy an iphone, anyone heard of offers coming up?
                        my friend bought the 2g for 190 pounds, 3g on offer for 300 pounds as minimum!
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Averroes View Post
                          I thought this was a forum to share such expirience, to be honest the site was recommended by a friend, but after using it I'm finding it more of a social networking site. Regardless of my expirience I would think such information would be useful to some. Also kindly don't mention my 'granny' again. If you kind such information a source of inexperience, then I alologise, but maybe it's worth passing on to the gentleman who was going to topple himself, and the pharmacist (expirienced may I add) who handed out the medication. It was only when counting the scripts at a shift change did I notice the odd looking script. The drugs were attainded by the police the following day, without any effect to the patient. So to all 'expirienced' pharmacists, please disregard this thread, and my sincere apologies.

Social networking site? You mean people from this site meet each other? Where!!?

My view of this site is that it is an opportunity to ask questions of each other. We all have different experiences and can contribute. That won't happen if people feel intimidated about asking questions.

If you wish to frighten your experienced pharmacist Averroes tell him that it is a criminal offence to dispense a forged prescription! It actually is and a young girl who was on the register only a few months actually spent a weekend in Holloway for dispensing a forged prescription. The judge was a fool but that is the risk you run when you agree to work as a pharmacist.

I would love to hear how he responds when you tell him!
                          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Ah... such refreshing innocence! Point taken though.....
                            Last edited by Fleegle; 30, November 2008, 11:18 PM.
                            Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Ah... such ignorant experience! Apologie accepted though.

Comment

Working...
                              X