Scopoderm patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scopoderm patches

Spotted on another forum I regularly visit, the "Yachting and Boating World" forum, in a discussion on seasickness remedies:
    "Just a warning re scopoderm patches.
    My wife tried these, well actually a half a patch, and the effect was alarming - severe headaches, violent retching and burst eye blood vessels. I dread to think of the effect of a full patch. There are possible side-effects, as it says on the packet. "

God help us all!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

They are hyoscine aren't they - muscarinic blocking drug? I'll have to have a think on the pharmacology of muscarinic blockers to work out how they do this.

Interesting though - thanks for that
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

the thing is, when you cut one of these patches in half, you loose the "prolonged release" effect of the matrix, and all the active ingerdient is released in one go rather than over 72 hours, as intended; rather like cutting a cheese 'n ham toasted sandwich, and all the molten cheese oozes out all over the place! (same scenario with jam doughnuts...)
      The woman would have been fine if she'd stuck to the instructions and hadn't cut the patch in half, but as it happens she's probably absorbed the dose intended for 36 hours' worth, in less than 20 minutes!
      Last edited by Zoggite; 17, May 2006, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Zo

Thats true with some patches but not all - is that true with scopoderm?

I suppose as pilocarpine is a parasympathomimetic and used in glaucoma that confuses me as to why they caused the eye problem. I'm making this up as I go here, and will have a look on the net etc when I'm not so tired!
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Good point; I know that it's the case for durogesic patches, but I too would need to check whether scopoderm is a reservoir-type patch or not.
          Watch this space!

Comment

Re: Scopoderm patches

any ideas yet guys??

Comment

Working...
            X