Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diclofenac Overdose

Hi All

Yesterday (I had a good day yesterday) I had yet again an overdose for diclofenac. The BNF says 150mg max daily dose by any route. I have seen this overdose maybe dozens of times in my job. I have seen 100mg BD, 50mg BD and 75m-mg nocte, on the same script and even 100mg TDS.

Do other people find this is a drug that is often prescribed in overdose?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

I have never come across a diclofenac overdose in humans, but I do recall an article blaming diclofenac for an 80% decrease in numbers of vultures in India (yes, I'm serious!)...
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
      I have never come across a diclofenac overdose in humans, but I do recall an article blaming diclofenac for an 80% decrease in numbers of vultures in India (yes, I'm serious!)...
      I read that one too!

They give it to the cattle and it's killing the vultures who have no capability to remove it from their systems

I think they're trying to get the farmers to use Mobic instead!
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Well, you do learn something new everyday!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
          Well, you do learn something new everyday!

You're so right.

My daughter's watching Nick Jr on the TV and did you know that cucumber is a fruit?

Well that's my new thing for today. Back to bed
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
          pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
          eloquent-e-tales

Comment

diclofenac overdose

Dear Admin

Did you do anything about it, ie recorded it as a near miss, discuss with GP etc

..............we are still worth our weight in gold.....preventing hospital admissions etc..do you still think we are over qualified or a HNC qualification will suffice..I don't think so ,that was a clinical pharmacy intervention which has saved a patients' life
            Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

clinical interventions

Originally posted by kemzero
              Dear Admin

Did you do anything about it, ie recorded it as a near miss, discuss with GP etc
              Talking of significant interventions, I'm still waiting for the GP to get back to me about those ocytocin injections he prescribed to my 85-year-old male diabetic six weeks ago...
              Do you think I will ever hear anything?

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero
                Dear Admin

..............we are still worth our weight in gold.....preventing hospital admissions etc..do you still think we are over qualified or a HNC qualification will suffice..I don't think so ,that was a clinical pharmacy intervention which has saved a patients' life
                Of course I did something about it, that's my job. I got it changed to the correct dose, and told the GP what the maximum dose for diclofenac was. I also write a little bit about what happened for my own intervention records. I didn't record it as a near miss, because I didn't miss it!

Mind you, it did impress the store manager, as he said most pharmacists he has working at his store never do anything like phone GP's etc.

Just because I think a HND would be enough for retail doesn't make me a bad pharmacist. I have a very good reputation, and the agency tell me I am one of the most sought after pharmacists they have in this area. I could work 10 days a week if I wanted to.

I have loads of interventions I have done. Shall we start an "intervention" section, maybe in the clinical pharmacy bit? I quite like the idea, but don't want to just list all mine if others aren't bothered. It could be a good learning tool though, and we could all share a few of our records on this.

Anyway enough of me, how about you? What do you think of me.......

Last edited by admin; 17, May 2006, 08:57 PM.

Comment

a great idea
                  by the way it never crossed my mind that you wouldn't have done anything about the diclofenac scenario..I've read all your threads and concluded that you are a credit to our profession
                  Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Kemzero

Err thanks for the compliment, but I'm not sure about that. I know I sometimes stir things up a bit, but this is a forum! I still do the best job I can.

Ok I'll put a thread about interventions in the clinical pharmacy section and start it off with one.

Did you hear back from that GP Zo?

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                      Did you hear back from that GP Zo?
                      WHAT DO YOU THINK?!? That he fitted me in, between the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy?

Comment

Re: Diclofenac Overdose

diclofenac 200 mg is prescribed some times in the united states for rheumatoid arthritis
                        "For the relief of rheumatoid arthritis the recommended dosage is 150 to 200 mg/day in divided doses, 50 mg t.i.d. or q.i.d."
                        Diclofenac Tablets Official FDA information, side effects and uses.

Comment

Admin! Theres already a thread on clinical intervention started by you in clinical pharmacy section...

Comment

I regularly see OD with diclofenac and get the dose altered every time, regardless as to whether they have had it before or not, (as a tech pointed out in one instance, 'no other pharmacist has had it changed because he's had it before'. I replied that i wasn't an 'other pharmacist' !). Like most NSAIDs, I get the impression that some prescribers see it as a relatively safe class and prescribe them far too frequently and at too high a dose.

Comment

Working...
                            X