Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citalopram Error

Hi Everyone

Yesterday I had a guy who had been previously taking 40mg daily of citalopram. His new script was for 10mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram. I told him I was concerned this was a mistake, but he swore blind it was correct. I said I needed to ring the Dr anyway. He got really angry about me wasting his time etc and insisted his Dr was correct. It turned out it was an error and he had been switched from 40mg citalopram to 10mg escitalopram.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

I get that all the time: patients write "cipralex" on their repeat slips if it's not printed on them, and receptionists aren't always aware of the difference between citalopram and escitalopram, so the wrong thing gets prescribed...
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

clinical interventions

we need more of this - it's interventions like these that make us valued.Pharmacists aren't just tablet counters we make a valuable contribution to the health chain..this can only continue if pharmacists are involved in the dispensing process i.e the initial clinical check.

The New Health bill if passed will compromise patient safety to some extent .. you can never replace a good pharmacist..not even with a GP because we are experts when it comes to medicines,pharmacy assistants or checking techs might be good but not as good as a "good pharmacist" although they may be better than a "bog-standard pharmacist"
      Last edited by kemzero; 16, May 2006, 04:02 PM.
      Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Kemzero

I have dozens of these if you want more!
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Re: Citalopram Error

dear admin

Pls give me more!
          I am thinking of writing an article about pharmacists contributions to effective healthcare.I believe we play a big role in preventing hospital admissions etc
          Currently most p'cists are seen as pill counters ( and unfortunately some of us are, we lack initiative)...that's why a few p'cists are scared techs might take over.....but we as p'cists must show and prove that we offer much more than pills and sticky labels!
          Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Today I was presented with a handwritten rx for flucloxacillin 500mg for a Nursing Home patient for whom our PMR indicated that she was allergic to penicillin;Nothing unusual so far, except it was the third script for penicillins for this same patient since Easter, and I'd contacted the prescriber on the two previous occasions to flag up this allergy...

Comment

There's loads of examples:
              - ephedrine 0.5% nasal drops given to a week old baby (happened twice in 2 months)
              - not weighing children to get the correct dose, and then not getting correct dose.
              - metformin mr 500mg prescribed 1 TDS and it should have been metformim 500mg
              - diltiazem twice a day formulations prescribed 1OD and diltiazem once a day prescribed as 1BD, and when I try to explain the difference, I'm not understood
              - transtec patches prescribed to apply once a week, instead of apply every four days. In this case, the gp insisted that she didn't have to change the prescription and for me to tell the patient to change the patch when it stopped working. I refused to dispense the prescription written in that way, and she ammended it.
              - glibenclamide given 2 BD --- it should have been gliclazide
              - diamicron MR 30mg prescribed as 1 and a half a day. Contacted manufacturers, and the tablet is not supposed to be halfed.

Do you want more?

Comment

Yeah! lets have them, i too get fed up with Drs not realising the difference between SR and XL Adizem.
                johnep

Comment

Has anyone else had a prescription for 500g Potassium permanganate - use in bath as directed. Was for a 5 year old with chicken pox!

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                    Has anyone else had a prescription for 500g Potassium permanganate - use in bath as directed. Was for a 5 year old with chicken pox!
                    Thought you put a couple of tablespoons of Sod.Bic. in a tepid bath?
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Mention of solution tabs of Pot Permang (Permitabs) reminds me when Condy's crystals and Condy's fluid were general sale items. Occasionally we would hear of the poor girl who had tried to induce an abortion with a pot permang tab. Could cause dreadful internal ulceration.

Most enquiries these days are for combating fish fungus and treating ponds.

when I was a boy, a crystal dissolved in water was used to soak feet for athletes foot and still is used for drying up weeping eczema.
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                        Thought you put a couple of tablespoons of Sod.Bic. in a tepid bath?
                        Yeah - that or balneium oil etc. I suggested to the mother that if she wanted a brown child and a redecorated house she could try putting Pot Permanagante in the bath - she wasnt a starter for that idea!!

Comment

While we're on the subject of cutting tablets in half:
                          Does anyone else get scripts for 42 monomax XL 60mg tabs, take 1 1/2 tabs in the morning? the box and the leaflet clearly state that the tablets should be swallowed whole, not chewed or broken; so why are they scored? does cutting in half count as 'breaking'?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                            While we're on the subject of cutting tablets in half:
                            Does anyone else get scripts for 42 monomax XL 60mg tabs, take 1 1/2 tabs in the morning? the box and the leaflet clearly state that the tablets should be swallowed whole, not chewed or broken; so why are they scored? does cutting in half count as 'breaking'?
                            We do an MDS tray for "One and a half tablets in the morning". When I asked about breaking the tablets I was told that the proprietor had queried it and it was OK. Not got the evidence to hand though.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I received an Rx at 5.35pm for Fluoxetine caps half mane!

Rang surgery and asked for siging Dr. Was told she wasn't there. So I asked for duty Dr and was told she WAS duty Dr she'd just gone home early!

Imagine if one of us had done that!
                              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                              pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                              eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                              X