Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codeine Addiction

Dear Forum-goers, long-time reader, first time poster here,

Has anyone had any experience with alternatives to using methodone (or similar therapies) as a means to ween people off codeine? If so please elaborate :-)

Re: Codeine Addiction

haven't really seen anyone on substitution therapy for codeine addiction but might methadone substitution be a little too strong? perhaps a low-strength buprenorphine might be more suitable? possibly and adjunct like britlofex could be used to manage withdrawal?
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Just to qualify this..Jammydodger..do you mean codeine-specific addiction, or general opiate addiction? I don't think I've ever seen methadone used as a maintenance/reduction program where codeine was the only drug of (ab)use. Just out of interest, why are you asking?
      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by Jammydodger View Post
        Dear Forum-goers, long-time reader, first time poster here,

Has anyone had any experience with alternatives to using methodone (or similar therapies) as a means to ween people off codeine? If so please elaborate :-)
        For my sins, I help out at CodeineFree - Codeine free is a support group primarily for people with problems with codeine based OTC medicines..

I suggest that you or your patient takes a look at the forum.

There's lots of practical support from people who have been through/are going through the process.

There's a printable leaflet about tapering
        http://www.codeinefree.me.uk/media/CF-TaperPlan-1A.pdf

and a couple of awareness posters also at Codeinefree Media Center

Also there's
        Narcotics Anonymous The Narcotics Anonymous website for England, Scotland & Wales

Which should list meetings near you.

The patient should be encouraged to talk things over with their GP

Loperamide can help with the runs; hot baths and lavender oil with the restless legs and inability to sleep.

Encourage your patient to ask any questions that they may have on codeinefree.me forums (The "Introduce Yourself" section rather than the "Open Surgery" as the latter has only a limited number of respondents)

Apologies to admin for the advertising - but he did ask

Jeff

Comment

We have a few pts on cod phos 30mg 1 or 2 qds. Never thought of themselves as addicts. Do keep a watch on Nurofen Plus OTC though.

By the way, is there a generic ibu + cod?
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post

By the way, is there a generic ibu + cod?
            johnep
            Cuprofen Plus if you class that as generic??

Comment

Solpadeine Migraine in the shiny blue packets. We had one guy last summer who thought he could beat us by periodically changing his brands around - but unfortunately for him I worked practically every day last summer and got wise to it.
              wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Originally posted by laurabuk View Post
                Solpadeine Migraine in the shiny blue packets. We had one guy last summer who thought he could beat us by periodically changing his brands around - but unfortunately for him I worked practically every day last summer and got wise to it.
                And did what?

Jeff

Comment

Nothing really! I reported him to the Pharmacist and let the other staff know during team brief - they just said they would keep an eye out for him.

Comment

Originally posted by laurabuk View Post
                    Nothing really! I reported him to the Pharmacist and let the other staff know during team brief - they just said they would keep an eye out for him.
                    In what way does that help the patient?

Jeff (Thinking that he'd be the pre-reg tutor from hell)

Comment

It doesn't help the patient at all - but unfortunately the pharmacist at the store I worked in was very apathetic towards things. I'm glad to be out or ?

Comment

i think some pharmacists take the attitude of "well they'll only go somewhere else and buy it" but imho that's wrong - it might feel sometimes (pardon the expression) like you're pissing in the wind - but sometimes the right bit of advice at the right time might save someone's life from spiralling down the toilet.

To play Devil's Advocate, even if your advice does nothing at least it's not the packet of solpadeine max that came from your shop that the police find by the body...
                        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

and your point in telling the pharmacy team was.......
                          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                            and your point in telling the pharmacy team was.......
                            so that they can highlight further sales to the pharmacist too! - sometimes enough repeat buyers will get through even to a lazy/apathetic bugger!

and look at it this way - if the other staff know too - if there's a locum on the other staff could highlight it to the locum and (hopefully) the locum will have a word.

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Any objections to me inviting one(or two) of the recovering from codeinefree.me to this thread?

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X