Dogs and anti-histamines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs and anti-histamines

Does anyone know which anti-histamines are safe to use in dogs?

Re: Dogs and anti-histamines

Hi,
    For what treatment?

Comment

The customer said it was for hayfever (dog was sneezing a lot, and vet had told her to go to a pharmacy to buy some antihistamines). It was late evening so I couldn't phone a vet to ask for advice.

Comment

Hi,
        Some use Cetirizindihydrochlorid. 5 to 10 mg for a Labra.? (30 % of dogs respond). Could make the dog sleepy?
        It would be benefical to rubb the dog with a wet towel when comming from outside removing the main amount of pollen.
        Last edited by johannes; 1, June 2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

What are the legalities of such a situation? Can we sell a human medicinal product for veterinary use? Does the fact that the vet told the owner to go and get antihistamines come under the legal cascade for veterinary prescribing or not? Alas, I failed to grasp the vet laws in lectures!

I was in this situation a while ago when I'd just started my part-time job (Healthcare Advisor). A woman came in for Piriton tablets - I launched myself into WWHAM, and was told it was for Pooch. The Pharmacist I was working with intervened and said he would not sell the product, the customer then asked for Piriton again --> Who for? Herself? (Yeah Right ).
          wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Laurabuk,
            Right that is worth a question....
            Well, isn't that stuff shelf-ware?
            Who is eating (hot)dogs? He, he
            Wuff
            Last edited by johannes; 1, June 2008, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I thought we were not allowed anymore to sell human medicines for animals?

Am I right?

What if you get the dose wrong and the animal dies? It could be a Crufts winning dog - think how much the settlement will cost you!
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

OK admin,
                Therefore I used a "?".

Crufts winning dog ??? What's that???
                Last edited by johannes; 2, June 2008, 04:38 AM.

Comment

I was really replying to Laurabuk. I still don't know what the law is on this one - I have a feeling we are not supposed to sell anything for animal use thats meant for humans, even if it's the same.

Crufts is the biggest dog show in the world.
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    I was really replying to Laurabuk. I still don't know what the law is on this one - I have a feeling we are not supposed to sell anything for animal use thats meant for humans, even if it's the same.

Crufts is the biggest dog show in the world.
                    I thought it went something like.. a food animal can only be given medicines licenced for such, but a companion animal can be given non-animal licenced medicines if an animal licenced one is not available.

Not had much to do with 'human-animal hybrids' yet.

Don't really know much about non-human handling of drugs - but know enough to say to customers "I don't know so can't recommend that to you".
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                      I have a feeling we are not supposed to sell anything for animal use thats meant for humans, even if it's the same.
                      Thats what I thought? Maybe I should dig out my MEP!

Comment

Originally posted by laurabuk View Post
                        Thats what I thought? Maybe I should dig out my MEP!
                        Yeah - me too!

Comment

Decided that I really ought to read up on this and from my understanding of it, we CANNOT sell any P or GSL item to be used for an animal.

It has to be prescribed by a vet and have the phrase "for administration under the cascade" on the prescription. An oral request from a vet is not sufficient.

Link to RPSGB guidance: http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/vetmedsalesupplyguid.pdf

Guess that's one for the CPD record then........
                          Titch

Comment

Titch

Thanks for taking the time to look this up. I thought this was basically the case.

Comment

Thanks Titch!

Definately going to have to go over this one in my notes

Comment

Working...
                              X