Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glucosamine 2KCL

Hi all

Having a blonde moment here. Have got a patient using Glucosamine 1500mg as the 2KCL salt. Has now presented with a prescription for perindopril (which can cause hyperkalaemia). Can any one who has got their chemistry/maths hats on tell me how much potassium they are gaining per tablet? Can anyone with their biology hats on tell me if this amount is likely to be significant with regards to potential hyperkalaemia?

Cheers

Re: Glucosamine 2KCL

A daily dose of 1500mg glucosamine gives 490mg of potassium chloride.

Not sure if that would be significant but I think you should do an MUR which amongst other things suggests monitoring of potassium levels.
    Last edited by Raju; 13, May 2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

But if the patient has just been started on perindopril then U&Es should be monitored as a matter of course.

Comment

Hi,
        Couldn't Glucosamine Sulfate or Glucosamine HCl be used?
        jo

Comment

As a general rule of thumb, when giving potassium supplementation, 10mEq will raise the serum potasssium level by 0.1mg/dl. So it would depend on where the patient´s potassium level was at present and their renal function, etc.

Comment

sulphate and dihydrochloride as salts give you different products, most of the products in the market are sulphate based, i can only find one that is hydrochloride based, just ordered one recently for a customer on a script kcl? not seen that before
            i am telling you about pharmacy life in practice, together with my personal opinions i think might be better for pharmacy practices

Comment

Working...
            X