Dispensing Modified Release /SR Preps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispensing Modified Release /SR Preps

How easy is it to implement the BNF recommendations on the above products in community pharmacy...... I am finding it extremely difficult due to changes in drug tariff prices and the "generic drugs" middle men suppliers, supplying different brands which obviously have different bioavailabilities ...also no disrespect to techs/dispensers some of them are not aware of BNF recommendations and whenever I mention it or refuse to check off 2 different generic brands for say ///Tamsolusin, Felodipine etc...they moan that their regular p'cist dispenses different brands ....duh

Has anyone else had similar experiences ? please share
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Re: Dispensing Modified Release /SR Preps

From what I understand, there are some M/R products for which the patient should always be kept on the same brand, e.g. with Nifedipine, Mesalazine and modified release epilepsy preparations there is a special note in the BNF with those particular entries that different m/r preps can't be substituted for one another.

But with the Tamsulosin BNF entry there is no specific guidance/ warning
    as with the cases above. I thought that with these it is not harmful if different m/r preps are substituted. Unless I'm missing something.

Comment

Re: Dispensing Modified Release /SR Preps

Originally posted by Raju View Post
      But with the Tamsulosin BNF entry there is no specific guidance/ warning
      as with the cases above. I thought that with these it is not harmful if different m/r preps are substituted. Unless I'm missing something.
      You are quite correct Raju. Diltiazem, ISMN, Lithium can be added to your list above (probably others too, but can't remember off hand).
      Tamsulosin substitution is not a problem (e.g. Petyme for Omnic), although the Mfr. did state at the time of release that Flomaxtra XL doesn't have the same bioavailability as the capsules (probably marketing guff, but who knows?).

Comment

Working...
      X