co-dydramol and underactive thyroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• co-dydramol and underactive thyroid

The PIL says that before taking co-dydramol tomake sure your doctor or pharmacist know if you have an underactive thyroid gland.

Co-dydramol - Patient UK

Well the patient told me - now what am I expected to do about it?

TIA

Jeff - whose ignorance knows no bounds

Re: co-dydramol and underactive thyroid

I suppose if you feel a bit tired with the thyroid, you might feel a bit more tired on co-dydramol. But that's better than being in pain.

Comment

Is it anything to do with toxic effects? With metabolism reduced in hypothyroid patients, it's theoretically easier to get a build up of toxins as metabolic pathways in the liver could be decreased - therefore overdose is easier (re paracetamol). Overall they would need a reduced dose?

This is definitely what I would call an educated guess... if anyone has any scientific proof to back up my insane theory.......!

Comment

I asked one of the manufacturers. The main issue apparently is possible respiratory depression. I asked whether there was evidence of problem with treated hypothyroidism and they said they couldn't differentiate.

I would have thought though if the thyroid was EITHER producing enough hormone OR the hormone levels were being topped up there wouldn't be a problem. So you'd be OK provided the patient was taking his levo.

Comment

Working...
        X