hypoglycemia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hypoglycemia?

52 y/o with acute non healing foot ulcer with type 2 DM, HTN, hyperlipidemia and hypothyroidisim. meds include:Metformin 1000 mg BID, Lantus insulin 50 units at bedtime, Glyburide 10 mg every morning, Crestor 40 mg at bedtime (recently increased from 20 mg per day), ASA 325 mg daily, Levothyroxine 150 mcg daily.

2 guestions

1.which of her DM meds can cause hypoglycemia?

2.what should be administered if patient becomes tachy, confused, aggitated and pale.
    should she take regular insulin,orange juice,diazepam or methimazole?

Re: hypoglycemia?

What exactly is glyburide and methimazole?
    johnep

Comment

thats not the responce i was looking for. i think you are as lost as i am. here are 2 links to the drug.
      thanks,

Glucophage (Metformin hydrochloride) drug description - prescription drugs and medications at RxList

Micronase (Glyburide) drug description - prescription drugs and medications at RxList

Comment

I don't think Johnep needs telling what metformin is; methimazole, on the other hand, isn't used in the UK (neither is Glyburide), but is an active metabolite of carbimazole and is used in the same conditions.
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

sorry, all i can do is answer the question. again im very sorry if that was offensive

Comment

I do hope you are not just trying to get us to go to a 'dodgy' site.
            I gets lots of spam just like this.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              I do hope you are not just trying to get us to go to a 'dodgy' site.
              I gets lots of spam just like this.
              johnep
              Probably a genuine request as only a fool would try to sell a prescription website to pharmacists?
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

no im a nursing student in the states. i attend florida state. my name is jeff. can you help me. this is a study question i have in a class.

Comment

Great idea Jeff,

Talking about hypoglycemia. I always believed that human insulin is better, we only don't use animal insulin in Zimbabwe any more but recently heard that there are problems including hypo's with changing from pork or beef. any stories, ideas. (I promise on this occasion is not an assignment)

Regards,

Paul2008
                  Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                  (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Thats OK anyone from Zimbabwe needs all the help we can give.
                    Jeffrad, are you at Gainesville?. My old uni friend John Perrin was a prof there.
                    Now we know your credentials, will be pleased to help in any way. Your questions are good at stimulating the old grey matter.
                    johnep

Comment

Hypos or was it hypers? were thought easier for pt to recognise first signs of, rather than with human insulin. Pork insulin still available in UK.

I understand that 'human' insulin differs by only one amino acid from pork insulin and is made from pork insulin.

With the increasing numbers of ethnic pts, who are more prone to diabetes and DVT, wonder how they regard being given insulin and heparin derived from pigs.
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
                        Great idea Jeff,

Talking about hypoglycemia. I always believed that human insulin is better, we only don't use animal insulin in Zimbabwe any more but recently heard that there are problems including hypo's with changing from pork or beef. any stories, ideas. (I promise on this occasion is not an assignment)

Regards,

Paul2008
                        The warning signs are different for some people. So patients used to beef or pork insulins might not realise that they are going hypo untill they get used to the different signs.

Jeff

Comment

hi john. im from Tallahasse. i can only ask the teachers at my school questions so many times so i thought i would try this forum. i cant find one like this in the states. my test is next week and i have been looking at questions in books trying to figure them out. any luck with this one? we use the term Egypt in the states like you guys use zimbabwe?? i think. usually americans love the Brits. i think you guys are the only ones that like us these days.

Comment

i thought it would be orange juice for this patient. why is it not orange juice?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffradd View Post
                              i think you guys are the only ones that like us these days.
                              Everyone likes americans, it's America that we have problems with ;-)

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X