Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beat this!

Conversation goes like this:

Patient: I was prescribed Quinapril 10mg.

Pharmacist: Yes?

Pt: I received a box marked Quinapril 10mg, the foil inside says Quinapril 10mg, the capsules say Quin 10mg, and the label says QUinapril 10mg.

Ph: Yes?

Pt: They're a different colour to my last lot, are they Quinapril 10mg? !*@"!
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Re: Beat this!

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
    Conversation goes like this:

Patient: I was prescribed Quinapril 10mg.

Pharmacist: Yes?

Pt: I received a box marked Quinapril 10mg, the foil inside says Quinapril 10mg, the capsules say Quin 10mg, and the label says QUinapril 10mg.

Ph: Yes?

Pt: They're a different colour to my last lot, are they Quinapril 10mg? !*@"!
    Not a daft question if the PJ the week after says there has been a packing error?
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

i wouldnt think poorly of the patient because of this, some of them are overcautious and for a patient to ask a pharmacist that shows that they appreciate our expertise, i.e. we would know wat a tablet is by its appearance, it would be cheeky though if the patient said "no they're not" after the pharmacist said they are quinapril 10mg. I had a patient once disagree with me when i offered them Pavacol-D on request for pholcodeine linctus because it didnt say "linctus" on the packaging. I only offered that because somhow it was cheaper than generic pholcodeine linctus, the customer prefered to buy this dearer form.

so what do you do when you try to act in the interest of the patient and they repay you like that, treating you no better than a SHOPKEEPER?
      We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
        i
        so what do you do when you try to act in the interest of the patient and they repay you like that, treating you no better than a SHOPKEEPER?
        What's wrong with being a shopkeeper?
        How do you treat shopkeepers?

Jeff

Comment

a shopkeepr can be someone whos got a few bob and has decided to rent out a joint and fill it with some stock he's bought at a cash and carry, on the other hand a pharmacist is a highly educated professional with atleast seven years of rigorous education at the highest level and atleast 5 of those in the field of medicines, so when s/he informs a patient that a certain medicine is equivalent to another the general public should accept that opinion/fact.

also the prime objective of a shopkeeper is to make money so if s/he offers you a certain product it is assumed he's acting as a salesman but when a pharmacist offers you a product in a pharmacy, s/hes acting (hopefully) in the interest of the patient (Like I was), because making a profit is only one factors in a pharmacists advice, especially of very low priority when someone else owns the pharmacy. how many times have people been offered the cheaper ketchup (own brand) at a major supermarket when you try to buy e.g. heinz, compare that to how many times people get offered generic ibuprofen instead of nurofen or cheaper paracetamol syrups instead of calpol.

Do people comprehend now as to what I was getting at?
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

I too was an idealist when I was young and believed all the stories about money not bringing happiness. May be it doesn't, but it sure makes misery eaasier to bear. My old boss said 'why are you so bothered about money, I am not'. but then he married a girl whose parents bought them a house and he did not have a mortgage to pay.
            In this world, money is a measure of success.
            johnep

Comment

money is only a direct measure of success if you are self employed, for an employee the success is measured by how much valued s/he is by their company or employer and this is indirectly measured by what they pay you. A further meaure for both classess would be achievements, e.g. einstein, he turned the field of physics upside down, was he a success?

Success, i clasify as recognition and being valued in the society at large, money is numbers, im outside that matrix!!! People say "time is money" i say they are stupid, "money is time" is what I say. That is why I wanna make money so i can afford to spare the time to do what i want, alot of people SPEND all their time working and not enough time is spent on spending the money they make.

I see whats happening here people are trying to justify acting more like shopkeepers than pharmacists, and i guess these people are owner pharmacists, lol. guilty conciouss i guess!!!!

Comment

a shopkeepr can be someone whos got a few bob and has decided to rent out a joint and fill it with some stock he's bought at a cash and carry, on the other hand a pharmacist is a highly educated professional with atleast seven years of rigorous education at the highest level and atleast 5 of those in the field of medicines, so when s/he informs a patient that a certain medicine is equivalent to another the general public should accept that opinion/fact.

also the prime objective of a shopkeeper is to make money so if s/he offers you a certain product it is assumed he's acting as a salesman but when a pharmacist offers you a product in a pharmacy, s/hes acting (hopefully) in the interest of the patient (Like I was), because making a profit is only one factors in a pharmacists advice, especially of very low priority when someone else owns the pharmacy. how many times have people been offered the cheaper ketchup (own brand) at a major supermarket when you try to buy e.g. heinz, compare that to how many times people get offered generic ibuprofen instead of nurofen or cheaper paracetamol syrups instead of calpol.

Do people comprehend now as to what I was getting at?
                I know what you're getting at. I just think that you might be mistaken.
                If we believe that we have any value - we have to make money. Our ultimate failure to our customers/patients is if we no longer there.

Jeff

Comment

As was said by Dale Carnegie (I believe). Never make a charity of your business as you will soon have none. make good profits and donate these to charity if you wish and possibly get a knighthood.
                  Examples of well intentioned people who failed to profit from their discoveries are many, classic case is penicillin. Typically we have an idea and the Americans or Japanese profit from it.
                  johnep

Comment

im not talking about giving to charity, wat im talkin about is chargin patients >£5 for a pack of 30 cetirizine, when a pack of 7 is available from the poundshop (i wonder how much its for, lol) etc... and then moaning about the loss of otc sales to supermarkets etc...

and theres a reason y americans and japanese make money outta it.

if uve been to japan or america u'l c theyre customer service is alot betta than UK, because they put customer before profits

Comment

just to clarify i know pack of 30 is P medicine but if sumone at poundshop buys 4 packs of 7 no one is gonna query it (query becomes a posh word in this contex)

Comment

just to clarify i know pack of 30 is P medicine but if sumone at poundshop buys 4 packs of 7 no one is gonna query it (query becomes a posh word in this contex)
                        Best option is to ring up your local pharmacist for advice, keep them on the phone for around 20minutes then go and buy your medicines at the "poundshop".
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

yea, funny how the genral public can walk into a pharmacy and see the pharmacist more or less straight away AND get good advice, but when it comes to aknowledging us, it doesnt happen. maybe this easy access makes pharmacists look dispensable.

btw-giving advice to the public is considered part of the new pharmacy contract, so tecnically the pharmacy is being payed for giving the advice on the phone.

had an inspector round to our pharmacy recently the amount of advice and information we were supposed to provide was staggering, and we were suposed to record everythin we advised people on. all the remuneration from this apparantally comes from the practice fees and the profit on purchasin of medicines. even this is a measley sum. ive looked at a few drugs in the DT and after the discount deductions the pharmacy actualy makes no money (except the dispensing fee) or loses out, and profit on other medicines might be good percentage wise but the actual proft is less 40p per pack.

somehow the DoH has the mentality that pharmacies shouldnt make money out of providing medicines.

Comment

Yup, welcome to the real world, SolomonQ!
                            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

proud to be here zogite, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X