Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinical Diploma, MSc or other qualifications

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have a community pharmacy clinical diploma or MSc? I'm debating which qualifications I would like to do in the future and whether they will benefit me in the long term.

Also, is there a big role for PwSI in community?

Thanks
    Rich
    _____

Re: Clinical Diploma, MSc or other qualifications

I'm currently doing a diploma in clinical community pharmacy at Aston (PgDip/MSc in Clinical Community Pharmacy). It's tough going at times, but I've learnt a lot and the material is well written - some bits were written by people at NPC for example. You can always email Kay Wood ([email protected]) and ask her to send you a sample of the course material.

I think the course will benefit me in the long term - it's not so much what you learn as how you learn to think. It will also open up more doors. I don't think there's much of a role for PwSI at the moment, but then they are fairly new - look at how long it has taken MURs to take off.

Doing a clinical diploma won't hurt you in the long term, and should be a huge benefit (there aren't many community pharmacists with clinical diplomas after all). You should also be able to get your employer to pay for the course, and if you do the aston course you get two residential weeks in birmingham.

Comment

Steve

Can I ask how much it costs for the course?
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
        Steve

Can I ask how much it costs for the course?
        I think the fees have just gone up to £700 per module, and it's 6 modules in total over two years.

Comment

Is a newly registered pharmacist allowed to do a clinical diploma or is he/she supposed to have worked for few years before?
          can you get half day/ week off work to study?

Comment

Originally posted by ramroum View Post
            Is a newly registered pharmacist allowed to do a clinical diploma or is he/she supposed to have worked for few years before?
            can you get half day/ week off work to study?
            I registered last summer and got accepted on to the course, although it probably depends on the institution and your application and references (for info I was an undergrad at Aston, got a first and had a couple of very good references - would they have accepted me if I'd got a 2:2 and had some poor references I don't know).

Whether you would get time off to study depends on the employer. For the course I'm on we have to go up to Aston for a study week each year, which my employer pays for (I don't have to take it as leave), but other than that I don't get any paid study time.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
              I registered last summer and got accepted on to the course, although it probably depends on the institution and your application and references (for info I was an undergrad at Aston, got a first and had a couple of very good references - would they have accepted me if I'd got a 2:2 and had some poor references I don't know).

Whether you would get time off to study depends on the employer. For the course I'm on we have to go up to Aston for a study week each year, which my employer pays for (I don't have to take it as leave), but other than that I don't get any paid study time.
              Thanks Steve for your reply. Good luck with your study.
              Last edited by ramroum; 14, January 2008, 08:07 PM.

Comment

[IDoing a clinical diploma won't hurt you in the long term, and should be a huge benefit (there aren't many community pharmacists with clinical diplomas after all). You should also be able to get your employer to pay for the course, and if you do the aston course you get two residential weeks in birmingham.[/QUOTE]

NOT true - quite a few Comm.Pharmacists have post graduate certificates...and thats about £700 for the whole course...it prepares you for the diploma
                Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

I'd really like to do some further study but I'm not sure how I'd actually afford it as I've been told by the lovely people at Head Office that they don't pay for your course because you don't actually HAVE to have in order to work as a pharmacist

For reference I work for quite a big multiple and while I can see their point as it would probably cost them an awful lot of money if they had to pay for everyone who wanted to do it I'm personally starting to feel like I'm getting stuck in a rut now - I need something to challange me a bit but I probably couldn't afford the full course fees alongside the mortgage etc etc!

Suggestions anyone?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by imaginegenerous View Post
                    I'd really like to do some further study but I'm not sure how I'd actually afford it as I've been told by the lovely people at Head Office that they don't pay for your course because you don't actually HAVE to have in order to work as a pharmacist

For reference I work for quite a big multiple and while I can see their point as it would probably cost them an awful lot of money if they had to pay for everyone who wanted to do it I'm personally starting to feel like I'm getting stuck in a rut now - I need something to challange me a bit but I probably couldn't afford the full course fees alongside the mortgage etc etc!

Suggestions anyone?!?!?
                    How about an MSc in Computer Studies or Medical Informatics and break into the Medical computing industry or a Connecting for Health (CfH) job?
                    Can do these part time....
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I'm currently living abroad for a few years (husband's job etc. etc.) and am unable to work as a pharmacist here although I'm still on the RPSGB register so I can do the odd locum when I'm back in the UK from time to time. I'd love to utilise my free time (never had any before!!) to do something like a diploma but I can't find one that is completely distance learning. They all seem to have study days/residentials etc. Does anyone know if such a course exists? For now I'm plodding along with various CPPE packages!

Comment

Working...
                      X