Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency supplies as Intervention MURs?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency supplies as Intervention MURs?!?

As the Easter bank Holiday tiptoes ever closer, it hasn't escaped my bosses in Sapphire court that we get an awful lot of requests for emergency supplies on Good Friday (I'm sure I've mentioned this in previous posts...); so they've now "informed" me that I am to treat every ES request as an intervention that justifies an MUR, even if I've never seen the patient before or ever dispensed anything for them or from their surgery before...
    So I thought that maybe this year I'd give Good Friday a miss; Apparently, they can get locums for bank hols & sundays for £26/hour, whereas I expect to be paid double-rate...
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Re: Emergency supplies as Intervention MURs?!?

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
    As the Easter bank Holiday tiptoes ever closer, it hasn't escaped my bosses in Sapphire court that we get an awful lot of requests for emergency supplies on Good Friday (I'm sure I've mentioned this in previous posts...); so they've now "informed" me that I am to treat every ES request as an intervention that justifies an MUR, even if I've never seen the patient before or ever dispensed anything for them or from their surgery before...
    So I thought that maybe this year I'd give Good Friday a miss; Apparently, they can get locums for bank hols & sundays for £26/hour, whereas I expect to be paid double-rate...
    How can an emergency supply be a MUR? I'm sure the society would class this as a core service.

Give it a miss Zo!
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      How can an emergency supply be a MUR? I'm sure the society would class this as a core service.
      Patients inability to manage their medicines - else they wouldn't need an emergency supply.

Jeff

Comment

What about the 3 month registration at the pharmacy rule?

Plus if it's anything like the pharmacies I work at then you'll get loads of ES requests. A normal ES can take long enough how long will it take to turn that into an MUR?
        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Time can be saved in an ES by getting the pt to complete a form with the details which you can then treat as a script. i have a couple of examples, one as a word document, the more sophisticated as a PDF.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
            What about the 3 month registration at the pharmacy rule?
            My understanding is that the 3-month registration requirement doesn't apply if the MUR is intervention-based, rather than an "annual" review (but correct me if I'm wrong!);
            Plus if it's anything like the pharmacies I work at then you'll get loads of ES requests. A normal ES can take long enough how long will it take to turn that into an MUR?
            I totally agree, it's the same here in North Wales at bank holidays- see my previous posts about ES: Good friday 2005 was my "personal Best": 78 requests in one day of 8.5 working hours, that's 510 minutes divided by 78, or 6 minutes and 30 seconds per "transaction"!!!!

Comment

I think I've stumbled across the answer about the "3-month registration period" requirement for intervention-based MURs:
              Welcome to PSNC- Speaking for Community Pharmacy, see the last FAQ:

"Can you perform a prescription intervention type MUR for a patient who has not received their prescribed medication from your pharmacy for the last three months?
              Yes you can, as the three month rule does not apply to prescription interventions. N.B. this is not currently the case in Wales."

!$*@!!! [email protected]*$!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                Patients inability to manage their medicines - else they wouldn't need an emergency supply.

Jeff
                So are you saying that this is a legit Intervention then?

Comment

Tabletcounter from a couple of responses you've posted I think you may be a little confused about interventions and MURs.

You can do an intervention which leads into an MUR and get paid for both but an intervention is a process that is completely separate to MURs.

You do an intervention because you see a problem an MUR doesn't have to follow.
                  Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

You can do an intervention which leads into an MUR and get paid for both but an intervention is a process that is completely separate to MURs.

You do an intervention because you see a problem an MUR doesn't have to follow.
                    You've got me confused now: How do you go about getting paid for both an MUR and an intervention?
                    I thought that prescription interventions were classed as an "essential service" in the new contract,thus not worthy of any additional payment, whereas an intervention-triggered MUR is just that, an MUR : " There is only one service; it is what prompts the review that is the differentiating factor.", says the PSNC website quoted in my previous post...

Comment

Hiya Zogs, sorry to confuse ya!

Welcome to PSNC- Speaking for Community Pharmacy

Looks like we're both wrong.

According to the above an intervention is an MUR and is not an essential service.

Seems crazy to me as our PCT has special little intervention sheets. Unless that's some local policy here as that seemed to involve all Rx interventions whereas the above says that interventions are over and above usual questions of safety.

Now I've looked into it more I'm even more confused!
                      Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

"The Prescription Intervention Service is actually an MUR which is triggered by a significant problem with a patient’s prescription"

So does this mean that an Intervention MUR is just a normal MUR triggered by an event, OR is it a recording of a significant intervention on one specific drug that the patient has been prescribed??

Comment

From the PSNC's "FAQ" section:
                          "When you perform a prescription intervention type MUR do you only have to review the medicines that have highlighted the need for the intervention?
                          No. A prescription intervention requires a full MUR to be conducted on all the patient’s medicines, following the requirements laid down in the Secretary of State Directions."
                          So I gather that recording our intervention for just one particular drug, without reviewing all the patient's other drugs, would not be acceptable as an MUR.

Comment

Who cares?
                            As long as the patient gets their free DVD/book.
                            Since when have professional considerations stopped Lloyds making money?

Comment

Working...
                            X