Dress code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress code

I'm going to move to the Uk to work for a big chain and I'm wondering about the dress code of the pharmacists in the Uk. Here in Italy we wear a labcoat with a badge that is the Symbol of the Society, but we don't have to wear a suit under it. I usually wear a jumper,shirt,jeans and my Dr. Martens boots under the labcoat! It's the labcoat that identifies pharmacists in the pharmacy cause the staff doesn't wear it. Do you think in the Uk I'll be expected to wear a suit with a tie? Big chains have a sort of "uniform"?

Re: Dress code

So you've decided to take the plunge and come and play with us in rainy Britain then!
    I'm afraid you will need to acquire some smart suits, shirts, and ties, even if you do choose to wear a labcoat (which is rather old-fashioned here, and it scares children).
    Chains only have uniforms for the "lower" ranks of staff, i.e. counter assistants, dispensers, etc...;And then, it's nearly always only for ladies. If you are a man working in a pharmacy the general public will always assume that you are the Pharmacist (if not the Doctor!), just because you are a man!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
      Chains only have uniforms for the "lower" ranks of staff, i.e. counter assistants, dispensers, etc...;And then, it's nearly always only for ladies.
      I know a lady pharmacist in a Boots store who wear the Boots white tunic uniform thing.

How demeaning is that?

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
        I know a lady pharmacist in a Boots store who wear the Boots white tunic uniform thing.
        Yeah- and I bet she gets asked fifteen times a day by punters whether they "can have a word with the pharmacist", even though she wears a badge that says "pharmacist"!!!!
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
          I'm afraid you will need to acquire some smart suits, shirts, and ties,
          Probably, but depends on where you end up working. Some places a suit and a tie mark you as a prime candidate for mugging.

Jeff

Comment

BTC have a dress code and this bans Dr Martens boots.
            I have four BTC shirts and a couple of ties which I wear when working in a BTC branch.
            In the old days always wore a white coat as handling liquids, ointments and powders.
            Now have a couple of suitable locum suits bought from charity shop.

If you buy in a posh area, suits often Baumer or even Armani.

Essential to have comfy shoes.
            johnep

Comment

And what about ladies? How do you dress for work?

Comment

Ok so i'll bring with me a couple of suits and ties, and a pair of "suitable" comfy shoes..when I'll be there then i'll see if I'll be able to wear more casual!

Comment

On your first day in a new store always wear a good lady's suit.

From there you can judge what the store is like.

Once I know the store, depending on area I usually wear smart trousers and blouse. Some stores I wear smart trousers and casual-ish top.

Occasionally I can get away with jeans and a top (evenings in a local store).

If you're working for Boots in a city centre store you're best off going with a suit.

Lloyds is a bit more casual (top and smart trousers).

Definately have comfy shoes. (not scruffy - quality leather with soft sole is best).

That's my fashion column over with!

Comment

When I first qualified I always wore a suit but there were two occasions when I wore jeans because the stores were only open on the Saturday morning.

BOTH times the area manager turned up to take me to another shop in the afternoon!

How unlucky is that?
                    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                      When I first qualified I always wore a suit but there were two occasions when I wore jeans because the stores were only open on the Saturday morning.

BOTH times the area manager turned up to take me to another shop in the afternoon!

How unlucky is that?
                      Usually its clean shirt, a decent tie, some suit trousers (never a jacket), polished shoes, tidily combed hair. The rest of the dress code are good manners, patience with the patients and a smile. Can't function as a pharmacist in jeans or without a tie - a bit like method acting I suppose.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                        Usually its clean shirt, a decent tie, some suit trousers (never a jacket), polished shoes, tidily combed hair. The rest of the dress code are good manners, patience with the patients and a smile. Can't function as a pharmacist in jeans or without a tie - a bit like method acting I suppose.
                        I wouldn't wear jeans to work unless coming in to do a rota hour on a sunday evening when we'd been out somewhere. (not that we do this anymore)

Gave up wearing a tie years ago
                        The spirit of the time hath taught me speed- Wm Shakespeare- "King John"

Comment

I tend to always wear a suit when im working in a pharmacy, but always dress smartly. I wonder whats everyones views on wearing smart trousers, with a smart shirt and jumper with no tie. I did this once while on placement and recieved some comments from the pharmacist on duty, (im a pharmacy student).

Sometimes i think its abit unfair that men are expected to wear shirts and ties when ladies can get away with much more casual dress.

Comment

I understood that working in retail, you have to be on your feet at least 8 hours a day... I'll bring from Italy a pair of black Geox(italian fashion ) , i think a good compromise between looks and comfort/functionality but i think I'll have to go through some pair a year...so what are for you the best work shoes?

Comment

I wore a white coat until about six years ago when dispensing from winchesters became rare. Now have two suits from Oxfam that I rotate.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X