The future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future

As I haven't got a crystal ball ..neither was I very good at extrapolation at school ( algebra) .....Do pharmacists who don't wish to become prescribers but want to remain in their traditional role have a future in the new NHS?
    Last edited by kemzero; 19, February 2007, 09:46 AM.
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

I certainly hope so.

Interestingly though, I'm currently doing a prescribing module as part of my MPharm course (final year) which we're told is setting the basis for any of us that want to go into prescribing later on (postgrad).

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, I prescribe every day, but I don't use green bits of paper to do so!
      When I'm asked for something for indigestion and after further questioning (anamnesis, diagnosis?) I recommend to the patient the purchase of a particular remedy, is that not prescribing?
      When, in the course of our All-Wales Smoking Cessation Enhanced service, I spend 20 minutes assessing a patient and then I issue him/her with a suitable NRT product, is that not prescribing?
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
        As far as I'm concerned, I prescribe every day, but I don't use green bits of paper to do so!
        When I'm asked for something for indigestion and after further questioning (anamnesis, diagnosis?) I recommend to the patient the purchase of a particular remedy, is that not prescribing?
        When, in the course of our All-Wales Smoking Cessation Enhanced service, I spend 20 minutes assessing a patient and then I issue him/her with a suitable NRT product, is that not prescribing?
        I agree with you Zo. What concerns me about extra prescribing is what will happen when someone makes a mistake? I don't believe that not a single nurse has not made an error in prescribing, but I've never read about any. Would the same happen to us? Go figure...........
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Yes it is since you're deciding what's appropriate for that particular patient and have the autonomy to decide whether you want to give something and if so what.

I don't think so in this case. Even though you're checking whether it's appropriate for this patient or not, it's deemed as just issuing it to those who meet the criteria set up by someone else.

Comment

Working...
          X