Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Moan of the Day"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Moan of the Day"

    had a dental script presented today for
    "Sodium fluoride mouthwash BP"
    No quantities, no strength, no directions...
    No dentist's phone number, and the practice stamp made the signature illegible...
    Well, we struggled!
    Couldn't find any mention of this mouthwash in the 1968 BP, our most up-to-date one; Martindale only mentions if preparations are USP, not BP; the BNF tells you that the 0.05% one, the 0.2% one, and the 2% one are all allowed on FP10D and WP10D, but doesn't actually tell you which strength the BP formula is; Superintendant's Office was stumped too, as was the NPA's information service...
    AAARGGHHHH!!!!!!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

  • #2
    dentists are just a pain in the backside when it comes to prescriptions (see my posts about metronidazole qds).

    Suppose the safest bet would be to go for the weakest one?

    Comment


    • #3
      dental scripts

      Dentists still persist in prescribing Amoxil Tabs.
      1) Many pharmacies have no Amoxil 250/500mg in stock.
      2) Where did this idea re tabs come from?
      johnep

      Comment


      • #4
        Today's doziest script (hospital Rx, handwritten):
        "co-codamol 8/500: 2 puffs inhaled QDS"
        no mention of quantity, or number of days' treatment to supply...
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

        Comment


        • #5
          Often get ointments etc 'take one twice a day'.
          Have a laugh when its pessaries or suppositories.
          johnep

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by johnep View Post
            Often get ointments etc 'take one twice a day'.
            Have a laugh when its pessaries or suppositories.
            johnep
            Yeah, for all the good they did I might as well of shoved em up me arse!


            Classic joke in Scrubs:


            Turk: The problem is that its pronounced analgesic and you should swallow them!
            Linnear MRPharmS

            Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

            In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



            For handy pharmacy links try
            pharmacistance.co.uk

            If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
            eloquent-e-tales

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: "Moan of the Day"

              Today's loony script:
              "R/ Ibuprofen 200mg tabs, mitte 84; Take 1 to 23 daily as required for pain"
              This was a computer-generated script; What will happen when ETP arrives, and there won't be a human correcting dosages?
              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: "Moan of the Day"

                Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                Today's loony script:
                "R/ Ibuprofen 200mg tabs, mitte 84; Take 1 to 23 daily as required for pain"
                This was a computer-generated script; What will happen when ETP arrives, and there won't be a human correcting dosages?
                There is a proposed standard for dosage coding, which we hope will be implemented along with supporting data to allow range checking.
                I think its on the DM+D website if your interested.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

                If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: "Moan of the Day"

                  Today had script for aciclovir 400mg x 20.
                  Dose one five times a day for five days. We gave 25 op.
                  johnep

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: "Moan of the Day"

                    Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                    There is a proposed standard for dosage coding, which we hope will be implemented along with supporting data to allow range checking.
                    I think its on the DM+D website if your interested.
                    We??

                    You might be interested in this then

                    UK Parliament - Video and Audio - Player

                    If you have an hour or three to spare

                    Jeff

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: "Moan of the Day"

                      Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      We gave 25 op.
                      What, 25 Original Packs?!?
                      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: "Moan of the Day"

                        Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                        We??

                        You might be interested in this then

                        UK Parliament - Video and Audio - Player

                        If you have an hour or three to spare

                        Jeff
                        We - meaning 'pharmacists at large'.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

                        If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: "Moan of the Day"

                          Yes I am about as good as the Dr. I meant 1 x 25.
                          johnep

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: "Moan of the Day"

                            Today I spent 25 minutes on the 'phone with a lady from the PPS; she called me for some clarification on my endorsement of Cod Liver Oil capsules 294mg, which I had endorsed "Ex Seven Seas pk. of 30". She could only find Seven Seas CLO caps 0.32ml on her computer, not 294mg...
                            Does anyone have a Noddy's Guide to weights/masses/volumes/densities to send her, 'cos I certainly failed to convince her that the two quantities were the same thing...
                            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: "Moan of the Day"

                              Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                              Today I spent 25 minutes on the 'phone with a lady from the PPS; she called me for some clarification on my endorsement of Cod Liver Oil capsules 294mg, which I had endorsed "Ex Seven Seas pk. of 30". She could only find Seven Seas CLO caps 0.32ml on her computer, not 294mg...
                              Does anyone have a Noddy's Guide to weights/masses/volumes/densities to send her, 'cos I certainly failed to convince her that the two quantities were the same thing...
                              You honestly spent 25 mins trying to sort this out? You could have trained her in that time!
                              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                              Thank you for contributing to this site.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X