Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pharmaceutical packaging(Blisters & Foils)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmaceutical packaging(Blisters & Foils)

Of recent we have had many complaints about dispensed dispersible aspirin 75mg tablets crumbling when 'pushed' out of their foil. Some other tablets are also difficult to push out e.g. ferrous sulphate and paracetamol. Customers being customers always think we are buying a CHEAPER make. One customer did some research and was apparently told by MHRA that it was legislation from Europe (Big Brother) that make manufacturers thicken the foil backing on these products. But did they not think about the elderly,poor sited and arthritics?

Another manufacter placed ramipril capsules in a foil packaging that had to be torn from the edge towards the capsule.(Apparently this is common practice in the Indian subcontinent) Patients who tried to PUSH the capsules out broke their thumbs and fingers and dispersed the contents of the capsule before reaching the mouth.

The best packaging for the poor sighted is omeprazole in foil packs. How do you get the two foils apart?

Ho hum,
    I keep getting ridiculed for suggesting that medicines should be dipensed in packaging that the patients can cope with. Aspirin dispersible and ferrous sulphate are available in bulk packs - paracetamol caplets might be easier to open because of the leverage.

Ranbaxy ramipril were a pain - open a packet and demostrate to patient that it's a case of tearing not pushing, and if it's a problem offer an alternative make.

Omeprazole - last time I checked has an unsticked corner that you peal from.

Again - once you are aware that there is a problem - show the patient before the complaint.

Oh and if you work for a multiple, make a note of the complaints and forward them to head office/line manager.

Jeff

Comment

I can see what people say about this packaging being user unfriendly but can you remember the headlines from when kids took the meds?

It's the same with warnings on OTC meds. I've seen Glycerin, honey and lemon marked 'If pregnant consult Dr before taking'!

It's a pain but it's purely a defensive move by the drug copmanies. the people of this country want to be able to sue everyone and everything when something goes wrong but want to keep the same liberties.

It doesn't work like that.

It's all a pin but it's a pain that had been brought about by people's own selfishness, stupidity and inability to accept responsibility for their own mistakes.
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by dhimant View Post
        One customer did some research and was apparently told by MHRA that it was legislation from Europe (Big Brother) that make manufacturers thicken the foil backing on these products.
        http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=94682

I suspect that you customer (or the MHRA) was mistaken.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
        X