why retail??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why retail??

according to statistics, most pharmacists go into retail and the least go into industry. what exactly is so nticing bout retail! during my work experience, i worked with a retail pharmacist and he seemed to be enjoyin it, u kno great customers nd all! makin money(fair enough) but his payment was sometimes late for example when he sent of his prescriptions at the end of the month nd the government dint pay him til about 4 months later. wouldnt that get very annoying because now u start losin money, have 2 buy thngs on credit nd u probably wnt b able 2 pay it back.

so y retail??
    [FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Purple"]Nenah[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Why Retail

Originally posted by nenah View Post
    according to statistics, most pharmacists go into retail and the least go into industry. what exactly is so nticing bout retail! during my work experience, i worked with a retail pharmacist and he seemed to be enjoyin it, u kno great customers nd all! makin money(fair enough) but his payment was sometimes late for example when he sent of his prescriptions at the end of the month nd the government dint pay him til about 4 months later. wouldnt that get very annoying because now u start losin money, have 2 buy thngs on credit nd u probably wnt b able 2 pay it back.

so y retail??
    Nenah,
    That's the way the government pay for NHS services and has done for years.
    They give you an estimated payment based averages, then make up the rest of the payment with your prescriptions from 3 months ago, this then rolls over to the next month and so on.
    The statement is (or used to be) the FP34 and you need to study it carefully to make sure that your scripts have been priced.
    Money from dispensing is not easy money, its a balance of risks. You can buy in bulk at a good discount, but then watch the tariff price drop or prescribing habits change, or you can make a profit if the prices are stable. You also have to put the time in looking for the best prices and you have to be there or pay another pharmacist to be 'in personal control' of the pharmacy.
    In a start up business the wholesalers can be very supportive. I supposed that's how they realised that they could retain profits if they operated their own pharmacies. (Benefits of vertical integration).

You can also play the dangerous game of endorsing a more expensive pack when actually supplying a cheaper one. You can also not submit scripts where the patient has paid but the cost of the POM item is cheaper than the NHS patient charge.
    Pharmacists who do things like that are very foolish. The PPA/PPD monitor averages and trends in dispensing. They also have a team that presents test prescriptions where they suspect dodgy things are happening. You can read about hapless pharmacists who have met with this team on a regular basis in the PJ.

Back to your question about retail...
    Its where the most jobs are and the jobs can be local!
    The money is also good - but it is not easy money!
    Mrs Pharmanaut, also a pharmacist, can leave the house at 0850 for a 0900 start and be back by 1810 - 1815 after a 1800 finish. Most days she stays at the shop, but in summer can come home to sit in the garden and have lunch.
    That beats an 2 x 1 hour commute any time.
    The top tip is to find a small local group that values all of its staff. They do exist.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

why retail

I always said that if I was going to be in retailm should be close. Did enjoy a locum on the IOW where I was living upstairs in the flat and could put my lunch on during the morning. However, I now seem to be working far away. Tomorrow will be up at 6am and out of house about 7am to catch a train so I can start at 8,30am.

johnep

Comment

Commuting locums

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        I always said that if I was going to be in retailm should be close. Did enjoy a locum on the IOW where I was living upstairs in the flat and could put my lunch on during the morning. However, I now seem to be working far away. Tomorrow will be up at 6am and out of house about 7am to catch a train so I can start at 8,30am.

johnep
        Did one in Upton, near Pontefract many years ago. The pharmacy flat wasn't being lived in at the time.
        Nice to stretch out on the settee and watch the lunchtime news!
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
        X