Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pharmacy technician NVQ3- every Pharmacy should have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy technician NVQ3- every Pharmacy should have one?

My Head Office is spreading a rumour amongst my staff that it will become mandatory by law, in 3 years' time, for every pharmacy to employ a qualified Pharmacy Technician, NVQ 3 or above; This is news to me, I have trawled all the professionnal websites and can't find any evidence to support this; I do see that by 2009 you will have to have an NVQ3-level qualification to be able to use the title "Pharmacy Technician", and as such you may need to be registered with the RPSGB, but surely this doesn't mean that every pharmacy will have to employ a duly qualified technician?
    Don't get me wrong, I welcome any move towards greater qualification for any healthcare staff; but threatening dispensary staff with being replaced by a "proper" Phcy Tech if they don't do the course is outright bullying and totally counter-productive! (no pun intended)
    Has anyone got any info. confirming or infirming this rumour?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Zo

I haven't heard anything about this. What on earth do they expect from these people for the money they earn? They must put it up if they are going to be so demanding on them in the future?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Have heard similar type things from different companies. i think they do it to get counter and dispensing staff onto the dispensing courses and so tie them into 3-5 year contracts.

Let's face it the staff aren't going to stay for the fun of the job or the pay!

I worked for an independent this week, I could tell it was an independent because I hadn't worked there for two years but it was all the same staff! Try that trick with a multiple!

When I first went locuming I signed up for a week for Lloyds in Exeter where I used to be manager. I had worked in all of the Exeter shops (4 of them). But I hadn't worked for them for two years, after two years there was only 1 member of staff I knew out of all 4 shops. Everyone else had left!
      Last edited by Linnear; 19, August 2006, 08:17 PM.
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Linnear

That does seem to be generally true, but there are loads of people I meet who have worked in the same shop for 20 years!

After being a locum, I find I get "cabin fever" if I'm in the same shop for too long - do you ever feel like that?
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

I do try to avoid doing weeks for people now. It's too much like being a manager again. You have a good idea of the problems you're going to be facing the next day etc.
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear
            It's too much like being a manager again. You have a good idea of the problems you're going to be facing the next day etc.
            So, ignorance is bliss? what you don't know can't hurt you?

Comment

I didn't mean it like that.

What I found soul destryoing as a manager was knowing that:

It's Monday: Mr Happy Addict will be on the doorstep at 8.45 waiting for the shop to open.
              Tuesday: Mrs Miggins will ring up because we ahven't had her srript that she ahsn't actually ordered yet
              Weds: Mrs Miggins will ring up to make sure that we put her favourite little tissue pack in with her drugs because you're coming out anyway!
              Thurs: etc.etc.etc.

At least as a locum you don't spend the whole evening the night before going through every a*sehole and problem that you knwo si going to crop up tomorrow!
              You walk in the door at 9 do the job walk out at 6 and the job's finished.

Much Much Much better!
              Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Yes But:
                as a locum you'll never get to know whether Mrs Miggins appreciated you chasing up her script, or whether the advice you gave her about her diet actually made her feel better; she won't send you a Christmas card, or ask for your opinion before going to see her GP; She won't tell all her mates at her Bridge club about how fantastic you are and that they should all sign up with your script request scheme...
                PLUS:
                what's paying your mortgage when you have a horrific motorbike accident and you are in ICU for 7 weeks and you need a hip replacement and you can't work for 6 months+?
                Come to think of it; who's paying you while you're in greece on your yacht for 6 weeks/year?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
                  My Head Office is spreading a rumour amongst my staff that it will become mandatory by law, in 3 years' time, for every pharmacy to employ a qualified Pharmacy Technician, NVQ 3 or above
                  Could I suggest that this is what the company we work for would like to be the case as a legal alternative to employing a pharmacist?
                  Three years being the amount of time that they estimate for the lobbying to take effect - just throw in ETP and a little remote supervision prn and they're on to a winner.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
                    Yes But:
                    as a locum you'll never get to know whether Mrs Miggins appreciated you chasing up her script, or whether the advice you gave her about her diet actually made her feel better; she won't send you a Christmas card, or ask for your opinion before going to see her GP; She won't tell all her mates at her Bridge club about how fantastic you are and that they should all sign up with your script request scheme...
                    PLUS:
                    what's paying your mortgage when you have a horrific motorbike accident and you are in ICU for 7 weeks and you need a hip replacement and you can't work for 6 months+?
                    Come to think of it; who's paying you while you're in greece on your yacht for 6 weeks/year?
                    I'd just say that I don't give a damm about anyone's tissues! And I don't want to be appreciated by the bridge club either. I don't send Christmas cards - just a waste of trees.

I just want the bucks.

As you pay less tax, the key is to save some up in case you need that new hip or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
                      Could I suggest that this is what the company we work for would like to be the case as a legal alternative to employing a pharmacist? Jeff
                      This is, indeed, what I managed to prize out of Area Manager once I got her cornered;and thanks to the RPSGB's Head of Support Staff Regulation department, who writes:

"This could though be your employer's own policy in anticipation of a possible relaxation of the supervision requirement through regulations under the Health Act, or possibly that they have misunderstood the Society's policies. I suggest that you clarify the situation directly with your Head Office. If it does transpire that they are giving out incorrect information and you would like me to contact them please let me know"
                      Just watch this space!

Comment

By the way I'm working out my notice period - just 4 working days to go ;-)

Jeff

Comment

By the way I'm working out my notice period - just 4 working days to go ;-)

Jeff
                          What are you doing after then Jeff ?

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                            What are you doing after then Jeff ?
                            Going to a wedding and then maybe think about locumming again.

Jeff

Comment

Going to a wedding and then maybe think about locumming again.

Jeff
                              Enjoy the wedding, and good luck with the locum work. I much prefer being a locum myself, and the freedom it brings - I hope you do as well.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X