Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blood Glucose Monitoring

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blood Glucose Monitoring

    Hi Everyone

    I had a guy last week with a bood glucose level of 32, yes 32!

    I checked the machine, and mine was 4.2 - I obviously needed some tucker.

    I rang the guys GP surgery and they said they'd make him an appointment for this week. I insisted in speaking to the Dr personally, and he agreed to see him that night. I gave the guy all the advice I could, being assertive about what he should not eat, without trying to frighten him

    So what do I see when I am coming out of the shop at 6pm - he's just coming out of the local Chinese take away with a carrier bag full of food in his hand!

    Do people ever listen to us?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

  • #2
    I remember talking to a Dr ten years ago and he said he was sick of patients coming in for their Ranitidine but still smoking, drinking and eating fry ups.

    I know it always gets bad press when it gets in the papers but I believe that there should be a clause whereby the prescriber can say, "you are not prepared to help yourself I can no longer justify wasting NHS money on you!"
    Linnear MRPharmS

    Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

    In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



    For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

    If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Linnear
      I remember talking to a Dr ten years ago and he said he was sick of patients coming in for their Ranitidine but still smoking, drinking and eating fry ups.

      I know it always gets bad press when it gets in the papers but I believe that there should be a clause whereby the prescriber can say, "you are not prepared to help yourself I can no longer justify wasting NHS money on you!"
      That's a good point, but where does it stop? I'm not fixing that broken ankle because you gave it to yourself playing football?
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

      Comment


      • #4
        Responsibility!

        Originally posted by Linnear
        I remember talking to a Dr ten years ago and he said he was sick of patients coming in for their Ranitidine but still smoking, drinking and eating fry ups.

        I know it always gets bad press when it gets in the papers but I believe that there should be a clause whereby the prescriber can say, "you are not prepared to help yourself I can no longer justify wasting NHS money on you!"
        I totally agree - none of us are perfect angels at only doing what is right for us. But unless an individual is prepared to take responsibility for their health why should the state???
        I know that I for one, cringe every time I see a family of obese people, as I think that is where my NI £s are going to end up. And an interesting statisic I discovered yesterday, there are now more overweight people in the world than hungry people!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by admin
          That's a good point, but where does it stop? I'm not fixing that broken ankle because you gave it to yourself playing football?

          How about a three strikes and your out approach? Or a list of rpecipitatiing factors that will worsen your symptoms and if you can't show that you're at least trying to lower some of them then tell them to bog off!

          I still believe the Roman's had the best idea. Leave the ill on a mountainside and if they're alive after a certain time go and get them again!

          Saying that, my GP told me that tests my missus had had showed she either had AIDS or Alzheimers so I asked what was the best thing to do, he said drop her in the middle of Bodmin Moor and if she finds her way back don't even think about sleeping with her!
          Linnear MRPharmS

          Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

          In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



          For handy pharmacy links try
          pharmacistance.co.uk

          If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
          eloquent-e-tales

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Linnear
            How about a three strikes and your out approach? Or a list of rpecipitatiing factors that will worsen your symptoms and if you can't show that you're at least trying to lower some of them then tell them to bog off!

            I still believe the Roman's had the best idea. Leave the ill on a mountainside and if they're alive after a certain time go and get them again!

            Saying that, my GP told me that tests my missus had had showed she either had AIDS or Alzheimers so I asked what was the best thing to do, he said drop her in the middle of Bodmin Moor and if she finds her way back don't even think about sleeping with her!
            You are awful! Do you agree with the slightly tubby not being treated as well?
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yep! I say set up a five mile course and at the finish line you're given a Xenical!
              Linnear MRPharmS

              Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

              In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



              For handy pharmacy links try
              pharmacistance.co.uk

              If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
              eloquent-e-tales

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by womble
                I totally agree - none of us are perfect angels at only doing what is right for us. But unless an individual is prepared to take responsibility for their health why should the state???
                I know that I for one, cringe every time I see a family of obese people, as I think that is where my NI £s are going to end up. And an interesting statisic I discovered yesterday, there are now more overweight people in the world than hungry people!!
                So you cringe when you see a fat family? Has it ever occurred to you that if the whole family is fat it might be genetic?

                I had a mate who was never fat (or any of his family), and had the same opinions as you about fatties. He went on a diet as he decided to start training in the gym, and found he could stick to it for about three days!

                I understand where you are coming from, and share some of your opinions, but it seems a bit dangerous to start stopping certain groups of people from getting treatment.

                How much do we spend on treating smoking, alcoholics, drug addicts each year? Does a drug addict deserve treatment and a tubby person not? What about self inflicted harm? We had a guy who used to come to the pharmacy and ask how many paracetamol it took to kill you. He then took about 12 on a regular basis just to get a hospital bed. He must have cost the hospital thousands, but what do you do with him?
                Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                Thank you for contributing to this site.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bodmin Moor is going to be busy this weekend...!
                  Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Linnear
                    Yep! I say set up a five mile course and at the finish line you're given a Xenical!
                    And would you finish the course eh tubs?

                    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                    Thank you for contributing to this site.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zoggite
                      Bodmin Moor is going to be busy this weekend...!
                      The poor woman - you really feel for her don't you!
                      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                      Thank you for contributing to this site.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by admin

                        How much do we spend on treating smoking, alcoholics, drug addicts each year? Does a drug addict deserve treatment and a tubby person not? What about self inflicted harm? We had a guy who used to come to the pharmacy and ask how many paracetamol it took to kill you. He then took about 12 on a regular basis just to get a hospital bed. He must have cost the hospital thousands, but what do you do with him?

                        Seriously, I think that the problem is that everything is treated as 'the thin end of the wedge'.

                        We should be allowed to practise common sense in law, in healthcare and in all walks of life.

                        I know people that have practically been in tears because they can't lose waight no matter what but I know more that will not stop eating fatty food because they knwo they can get Losec on Rx! Using common sense should not be a problem treat those that have tried snd not the ones that haven't.

                        Before anyone jumps in, I know that this isn't a perfect idea but it's a damned sight better than treating all the ones that are a complete bunch of wasters.
                        Linnear MRPharmS

                        Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

                        In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



                        For handy pharmacy links try
                        pharmacistance.co.uk

                        If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                        eloquent-e-tales

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by admin
                          How much do we spend on treating smoking, alcoholics, drug addicts each year?
                          Probably less than what the Crown gets in duties on tobacco and alcohol sales...
                          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It made me laugh that you could go out and buy a bottle of scotch, twenty fags but beef on the bone was illegal!
                            Linnear MRPharmS

                            Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

                            In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



                            For handy pharmacy links try
                            pharmacistance.co.uk

                            If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                            eloquent-e-tales

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Zoggite
                              Probably less than what the Crown gets in duties on tobacco and alcohol sales...
                              So we should all be smoking and boozing it up for the good of the NHS ?

                              Cool...........
                              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                              Thank you for contributing to this site.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X