No announcement yet.

Services while the pharmacist is away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Services while the pharmacist is away?

Rowlands: Allow trained staff to offer some services under SOPs while pharmacist is away|Chemist+Druggist :: C+D (chemistanddruggist.co.uk)

Not sure what the motivations are behind this - where are we expected to go for 2 hours per day outside of the pharmacy where patients come for their services?

47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

The old pharmacy inspectors used to visit the pharmacy during lunch hour and attempt to purchase bottle of codeine linctus.
    I normally had my sandwhiches in the dispensary if we did not close for lunch. Seldom got an uninterrupted lunch break.
    A pharmacy which closed for lunch was a luxury. Even greater luxury was whern I worked at CMK where there where usually three pharmacists on duty. Then I could go for a stroll around the mall.
    johnep

Comment

Remember that - the one they used to try after Codeine Linctus (when refused) was Optabs.
      Unlike Optrex Optabs were [P].

To my original posting; this could be used as a legal device to operate the pharmacy for 2 hours in the RP absence.
      For example sign the RP in, carry out activity under the SOPs and then the RP arrives within the 2 hours.
      This sounds like pushing the rules a bit doesn't it. I'm wondering that the test case in court would make of it.

I could not imagine a responsible employer working in this way - so it is probably not likely to happen.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Just a back door into remote supervision.

Comment

We had a really good thread going about this.
          It is quite old but I think we were ahead of the times discussing this.

Remote Supervision? - Pharmacy Forum UK (pharmacy-forum.co.uk)
          How times change.

Comment

From the thread mentioned.- you will find this in there somewhere but it is worth mentioning again and again.

Supposing remote supervision is introduced and all the great cost savings are made.....
            How long do you think the DoH will take to pick up those cost savings in the cost of service enquiry and make reductions accordingly.
            So all the technology and investment in enabling remote supervision efficiencies to make the future bright might not be realised.

How long will it be before there is a shortage of 'remote supervision' pharmacists?

Don't take this as being anti-technology and progress; are we looking at the problem in the right way?

Well, for me in just over 1,000 days this will be problem for those pharmacists remaining.

How times change.

Comment

The whole thing just reeks of opportunism, How many pharmacists are actually away for any amount of time? they probably just plan to send the pharmacist to another branch to save on money while getting services done with technicians.

Comment

The perfect ingredients for the development of remote supervision are all here. A tory government always keen to hear the views of corporate lobbyists, the Covid pandemic allowing temporary emergency legislation, a relative shortage of community pharmacists...but nothing has happened. I'm sure the multiples are very keen on furthering RS but it appears either the govt/NHS aren't that keen just yet.

The priority seems to be reduce the number of pharmacies but cutting funding rather than destroy the future of community pharmacists jobs.

Comment

You are right, 'isthisasgoodasitgets?'

I reckon the powers that be are now fully aware of the ploy.

This is merely an attempt by the chains to move Pharmacy further towards its complete chain-store transformation where it does not cost them much if they do not have a Pharmacist on hand. The hyping up of "technicians" is for a good reason -- when, in fact, outside of hospital, it is a superfluous Pharmacy Assistant role. And even in hospitals, junior Pharmacists should be performing the very technical Pharmacy jobs in supervisory capacities to dispensers and assistants.

Basically, they want to bend Community Pharmacy to their ends such that legally and financially they can operate with even more impunity than they already get away with. Lowering requirements means they don't have to close shop if a locum dares to laugh in their faces. To be fair, corporate Pharmacists and some Pharmacist-operators are part of this episode.

​​​​​
                  Last edited by PotionRx; 13, November 2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X