Propranolol for 14 year old for anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propranolol for 14 year old for anxiety

Has anybody come across this before? Dose is 10mg tds prn for anxiety which I know is alright for this age group but I've never seen it prescribed for anxiety.

It was prescribed by GP, not started by mental health team/hospital.

Just wondered if anybody else has come across this before?

Propranolol 10mg TDS is prescribed for anxiety all the time. I’ve seen it issued to 14 year olds in the past.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Thanks for reply. There is still so much I have yet to see!

Comment

Loads of patients between about 12 and 20 take it for anxiety.

Comment

That's reassuring. There are so many things that seem to be really common practice but that I can't find any written guidance for. I often feel like I am missing something that everyone else seems to be aware of

Comment

Originally posted by Rudedog View Post
            That's reassuring. There are so many things that seem to be really common practice but that I can't find any written guidance for. I often feel like I am missing something that everyone else seems to be aware of
            I don't know for propranolol, but roughly mid 2000s to mid 2010s the number of antidepressants doubled in use. I've heard other people say that for things like propranol there has also been a large increase for anxiety. In pharmacy it's noticeable, not sure whether society is aware of it. Talking way outside of the confines of pharmacy there are people who rave about it as being a wonder drug and many others that say they couldn't live without it (for anxiety).

There will be guidance for it, but mental health stuff is buried in thousands of pages of stuff on NICE. You may find local prescribing guidance for what first, second choice is for somewhere in the country not necessarily your locale, which may give you an idea.

The one that surprised me was amitriptyline in young patients where the patient discretely says they have it for 'migraines', but on clinical discussions with a pharmacist it appears its anxiety/depression/migraines.

Comment

After trying a few meds, my wife found amitryp 10mg nochte best migraine preventitive. I have just ordered some for her from surgery online.
              johnep.

Comment

I would say it's always handy to check the BNF, it is one of the indications for propranolol https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/propran...ochloride.html

(9th and 10th indication)

Comment

Quite popular with violinists at one time, IRRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlyn View Post
                    Quite popular with violinists at one time, IRRC.
                    It still is. Many professional musicians take it for performance anxiety. It stops any fine tremor which obviously isn’t something a violinist wants. For the same reason it is banned in sports like snooker and shooting.

At one time it was OTC in Ireland and very popular for exam nerves and before driving tests.

Comment

Working...
                    X