Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 111, ES and repeat prescriptions

Hi,

Can someone please confirm to me whether or not 111 can issue an electronic presciption directly to a local chemist for them to dispense, either as a normal or emergency supply?

Trying to get some repeat medication but doctor wont issue repeat prescription (even though Ive had it prescribed before within last year) without consultation. So they booked me in but the appointment is in 2 weeks time. In the meantime they have not issued me anything to tie me over.

Went to a phamacy and they wont issue emergency supply either, without a prescription, but isnt that the whole point of an emergency supply? I mean if you had a prescription then you would just take it to a normal chemist and get it dispensed.

Thanks
    ECDR.UK

Originally posted by rafhelp View Post
    Hi,

Can someone please confirm to me whether or not 111 can issue an electronic presciption directly to a local chemist for them to dispense, either as a normal or emergency supply?

Trying to get some repeat medication but doctor wont issue repeat prescription (even though Ive had it prescribed before within last year) without consultation. So they booked me in but the appointment is in 2 weeks time. In the meantime they have not issued me anything to tie me over.

Went to a phamacy and they wont issue emergency supply either, without a prescription, but isnt that the whole point of an emergency supply? I mean if you had a prescription then you would just take it to a normal chemist and get it dispensed.

Thanks
    As far as I know 111 don’t issue prescriptions, just advice. You could only get an emergency supply if it were regular medication, not something you get occasionally. The surgery obviously feel you need to see a GP to get a further supply. Do you mind saying which drug it is?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Good question. I once issued a supply to a pt on her urgent asking " as script not ready at surgery yet". It was OOH and med was Cipramil and yes "I don't pay".
      It was had regularly on her PMR. We contacted surgery when open and reply was "No script will be issued, pt supply stopped".
      We often had emergency requests for Diazepam etc.Often pt response was " I must have them". We advised to go to A&E.
      I would be interested to see if this request was for a psychotropic.
      johnep

Comment

It was an inhaler
        ECDR.UK

Comment

If a Ventolin, no problem. Others could be available on payment. As some can cost £60, suspect pt wanted FOC. In that case I would probably refuse.
          Too many scripts that pt said they would request never arrive. One Scots pt wanted emergency supply "I don't pay" of course. We contacted surgery and said would issue so we supplied. Script did not appear. On contacting the Surgery (in Scotland some 500 miles away), told script waiting for us to collect. They would not post unless we sent a stamped envelope. Faxes were not allowed on grounds of confidentiality.
          Have had that sort of response from other surgeries that apparently cannot afford a stamp!
          johnep

Comment

There was a story like this ages ago on one of the other forums. The pharmacist in question was in Scotland, though, and the surgery in England. The pharmacist knew, and was shortly meeting up with a couple of (named I think) journalists from the National press and 'suggested' to the surgery that he would tell them the tale. The surgery had said something about tight margins and unable to afford postage.
            Apparently the script arrived the next day!
            IIRC.

Comment

Yes the general portrayal of pharmacists in the media as greedy grasping and always the villain of any TV plot (Eg supplying drugs in Coronation Street). favourite story line is wicked pharma peddling drugs for enormous profit. This Anti pharma publicity has resulted in the virtual destruction of manufacturing and basic meds supplied from China. Even GSK imports Ranitidine instead of making it itself.
              Drs are always the heroes in any story. Chemists are not to be trusted. A poor locum at a pharmacy for one day was arrested on a fraud charge for endorsing Gaviscon as 5 x 100ml instead of 1 x 500ml.
              In the company I worked for, manufacturing was stopped at WGC and the company is now just a sales organisation.
              The authorities do not seem to realise we are now an employee profession and not millionaire owners milking the NHS.
              johnep

Comment

To be fair, John the current doctor in Corrie is not a 'good' character at all. he's about to be struck off for drug abuse, if my less than whole hearted attention is correct.

Comment

Agreed but it was a pharmacist portrayed as his suppler.
                  johnep

Comment

As we are isolating due to our age and my lung problems, I have signed up with Lloyds Echo. It appears to be their answer to P2U taking advantage of meds delivered via the PO not subject to need of a signature and can be posted through a letter box.
                    There will be a swing to Spoke and Hub now as well as post delivery.
                    johnep

Comment

Say you asked a pharmacist for an ES and they refused after you gave them all the information, they said theres no way they can do it.
                      But then after you ask them for their name and number they completely change their approach. Is there anything suspicious?

I know a patient who did this. First the pharmacist said no....then after the patient said they would complain, the pharmaicst then refused to give the details (at first) and then even said that if he gave her his name and GP details they would ring their GP personally and GAURANTEE that they get the prescription and do a supply....So why didnt she just do this the first time the patient asked?

Would this though not mean that when they initially refused to do ES they actually breached duty to care by not doing ES and / or not offering to ring the GP or sort out the issue?

If the pharmacist changed their judgement atfer the patient said they would complain then doesnt that mean theres something wrong there, unprofessional? So a patient has to threaten to complain in order to be taken seriously and get service they are entitled to?

Isnt that wrong, irresponsible, unprofessional / incompetent
                      ECDR.UK

Comment

Yes. One reason why I used a form for pt to fill in for the request. Cannot understand about refusal to reveal name when law states this information has to be on display.
                        My certificate hung in clear view on the war giving name and reg number (52341). Filling in the form also kept the the pt occupied and stopped them wanting immediate handover. The form made clear payment would be required. (No provision for loans against a promised script in regulations or SOPs)
                        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                          Yes. One reason why I used a form for pt to fill in for the request. Cannot understand about refusal to reveal name when law states this information has to be on display.
                          My certificate hung in clear view on the war giving name and reg number (52341). Filling in the form also kept the the pt occupied and stopped them wanting immediate handover. The form made clear payment would be required. (No provision for loans against a promised script in regulations or SOPs)
                          johnep
                          Scotland has the CPUS form for just this thing.
                          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

1) Is it actually on repeat? Just to confirm it's not something that is issued as an acute?
                            2) Did you ask for a reason to the surgery why it was not issued? Reception can easily task the GP for a quick reason and ring you to keep you informed.
                            3) Just to confirm, have you been diagnosed as asthmatic? If not, what is it on repeat for? Do you have a preventer and are compliant with it/with other breathing meds?
                            4) Did the pharmacy offer to check your SCR (with your consent) to base their reasons for issuing it/not issuing it?
                            5) Are you due an asthma review i.e. have been invited so many times/tried to be contacted/did not attend so many times?

Most importantly IMO, if you are needing it in an emergency until that review, what are the plans?

Comment

If Ventolin, just drop into Superdrug and buy for £8. (this was some years ago). Of course Ventolin regarded as capable of abuse.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X