Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handing in my notice after 2 weeks, advice please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handing in my notice after 2 weeks, advice please?

So I did my prereg with the shoe and being a prereg with them as long as you went through as performing you got a job with them once you qualified.

I took on a job just because they offered a lot of support and promises for once you qualify however as I suspected at the time that was lies.

The work life balance is pretty poor and I am working 3 in 4 saturdays. I have been qualified for a week and a bit and they are pressuring me into doing flu jabs (I have done the training just need to finish it). Some of the stores have extremely little staff for the size and busyness of the store and I am expected to somehow serve their customers, check all of their repeat prescriptions, do the services and also keep on top of their waiters and queries. I am a relief pharmacist so I do get to go to different shops which at times is good depending on the shop.

Also as a rant some of the more experienced pharmacists who are obviously on much more money arent required to flu jabs but the newly qualifieds are even though we are on less money and getting nothing extra.

Anyway the pay for a newly qualified is pretty poor and I am thinking about locuming. Is it wrong to hand in my notice before i have even been in the job a month?

All I would say is that December isn’t a good month to start looking for locum work. Most pharmacists aren’t allowed annual leave so pickings are slim.

Comment

Originally posted by hibernia View Post
      All I would say is that December isn’t a good month to start looking for locum work. Most pharmacists aren’t allowed annual leave so pickings are slim.
      I have a 3 month notice so I would need to work that anyway. I'm not planning on my burning my bridges when I leave was just going to say that it is taking a toll on my personal life which it is and it would be great if they kept me in mind as a locum.

Comment

Go ahead. i did my apprenticeship with the shoe and then did Saturday job all through Uni. They did give me pharmacist rate from the day I qualified , but then left as wanted to work when
        and where I wanted. I did return after I retired from industry and at that time they treated me very well. However, when I moved to new location had several issues with them and left for pastures new..
        Main reason I got out of retail was working on Easter Saturday and Christmas. In industry I stopped work on 21st Dec and started again on 4th Jan or there abouts.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Zennn View Post

I have a 3 month notice so I would need to work that anyway. I'm not planning on my burning my bridges when I leave was just going to say that it is taking a toll on my personal life which it is and it would be great if they kept me in mind as a locum.
          Not a good thing to say.
          Better to tell them that you need to take some time to enhance your business and management skills so that you can be more effective for the company.
          Practice saying it so you sound convincing.

47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Zennn View Post
            So I did my prereg with the shoe and being a prereg with them as long as you went through as performing you got a job with them once you qualified.

I took on a job just because they offered a lot of support and promises for once you qualify however as I suspected at the time that was lies.

The work life balance is pretty poor and I am working 3 in 4 saturdays. I have been qualified for a week and a bit and they are pressuring me into doing flu jabs (I have done the training just need to finish it). Some of the stores have extremely little staff for the size and busyness of the store and I am expected to somehow serve their customers, check all of their repeat prescriptions, do the services and also keep on top of their waiters and queries. I am a relief pharmacist so I do get to go to different shops which at times is good depending on the shop.

Also as a rant some of the more experienced pharmacists who are obviously on much more money arent required to flu jabs but the newly qualifieds are even though we are on less money and getting nothing extra.

Anyway the pay for a newly qualified is pretty poor and I am thinking about locuming. Is it wrong to hand in my notice before i have even been in the job a month?
            Wellcome to community pharmacy.

I was in a very similar position 50 years ago.

I left the company.

It was, overall, a mistake.

The majority of pharmacies are now owned by multiples and conditions are equally bad and in some cases worse.

Imho, your best option is to open a dialog with the upper management to see if your present lot can be improved.

Alternatively, what roles can they offer at HQ where you would be well away from the coal face.

Free lance locum work offers maximum flexibility but you have to find your own pension (not forgetting employer's contributions) holiday pay, sickness and build in a margin to cover times when there are no engagements.

You need a very high hourly rate to cover all that.

Comment

Working...
            X