Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do about sickness - when its the manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do about sickness - when its the manager?

Dealing with sickness can be a bit of a grey area, and too many ifs and buts. But... what do you do, when its the manager who keeps phoning in sick or being off for very extended periods of time?

I can't reveal exact details of the situation (for anonymity). But essentially - there's only one manager. The place runs on only a part time employed pharmacist and locums. The place still runs (barely), it is far from ideal. But if the employed pharmacist isn't there, the place goes almost completely to s**t. Staff members coming in late, leaving early, on phone constantly etc.

Area manager isn't interested, said "we have support". and the manager we're sure is also hiding some absences and keeping them at arm's length.

The manager has an illness which means they do go off on long periods of time and probably are genuinely not well. But at what point does someone say enough is enough? Can anything/should anything be done?

Keep a diary of times away. 2nd in command should manage when regular person not there. If none, then should be, and responsibility of AM.
    johnep

Comment

At what point do you think the absence is "unmanageable"? Am I being harsh for doing something when they have an illness? (I have been criticised by another staff member for saying that they technically should be replaced as manager)

Comment

All that is necessary is that manager has a deputy. Every position of authority has such a person, even Trump!
        johnep

Comment

That is true - but the issue comes with , how long should the deputy be in charge before it officially becomes excessive?

And how many hours should that person work (at least) for it to be feasible?

Comment

Hours on the premises for each person should be part of the weekly/monthly report.If such a system does not exist then company wide open to abuse by staff. Some companies have even paid wages to fictitious staff.
            I had to sign on each morning.
            johnep

Comment

Ask to see the staff handbook and policies. They should list manager and deputy.

Comment

Working...
              X