Languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Languages

How far does pharmacy need to go in providing information in the patient's own language?
    Given that it could be an expense that we do not have funding for?
    And how are we to find the time to do this during a day where every single moment is packed with target monitored activity?

47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Treat them the same as you would be treated in their country. In Japan I was looking for the equivalent of a UK product. English is the second language of the world. They found the English spelling in a dictionary. We cannot be expected to have a dictionary for every language, but maybe google could help. In the old days I found Martindale often had the name of a product in several languages.
    so get them to type what they are looking for into google. Make sure you have contact numbers for variety of interpreters they could use, not you. In US you have to pay for an interpreter if needed.
    johnep

Comment

When I worked in hospital there was an appeal from Management from anyone who spoke a language other than English to register so that they could be called upon to interpret if necessary. Might, I suppose, be available to community, if necessary.
      Interestingly we went to hospital for an echocardiogram recently and at the same time there was an elderly lady obviously from her appearance and dress from the Indian sub-continent. She was accompanied by what appeared to be her grandson as interpreter. I didn't see whether she was offered an interpreter from the hospital.

It's a sad commentary on British education that so little time is spent on, and effort given to, languages, although of course they would generally in UK be European ones.

Comment

I believe a result of history and the British Empire.In India and the Far East, I am told there are schools which use English. Often the key to a good career. My Chinese relative upset that her father sent her to a "Mandarin" school rather than an "English" one. Her brothers attended English language schools.
        johnep

Comment

One set of grandchildren attend an English language school in Thailand. There are pupils there from all over the world, although primarily basically English-Speaking countries.
          Of course they use both Thai and English at home.

Comment

We are probably too willing to take on extra unpaid work on top of all the extra unpaid work that we are already not paid to do.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yes, the current DOH campaign gives the impression that easy to see a pharmacist. All designed to take pressure off GPs and hospitals. We are cheap!
              johnep

Comment

Working...
              X