NVQ2 in Dispensing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVQ2 in Dispensing?

Hi all, I'v been an MCA for 2 years now and am trying to decide if I should study for my NVQ2 in dispensing! I've read what google has to offer on the subject but would really like to hear from people that have done it or are doing it now. Is it difficult? Was it worth it? TIA

Search the forum using the search box. Buttercups is best course.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by mjohn View Post
      Hi all, I'v been an MCA for 2 years now and am trying to decide if I should study for my NVQ2 in dispensing! I've read what google has to offer on the subject but would really like to hear from people that have done it or are doing it now. Is it difficult? Was it worth it? TIA
      What is to decide?

The only scenario I can think of where someone wouldn't want to do dispensing course is if you are at a pharmacy that is so badly run that there's a glut of counter assistants and a lack of dispensers and loads of work gets chucked on you. Even then, do the course, move to a pharmacy that's more cushy and pays the dispensers a fair bit more than the counter assistants.

Yes, I have done NVQ2 dispensing. It took me a few months, it took me 2.5 months to do MCA.

That this question is being asked raises alarm bells.

They are both NVQ2 courses. Self explanatory, if you're getting loads of shyte off your fellow colleagues, they are either misinformed or they are playing mindgames with you and trying to stop you being a dispenser. If someone else is telling you that the dispensing course is harder that's just a complete load of nonsense. They are different skills. Some pharmacists are honest enough to say they think the dispensing course is 'easier' because by the time you do that you're already bedded in.

Bad managers also talk nonsense about the course, unfortunately many pharmacists in big chains cannot be arsed to supervise people.

If you have a supportive manager, literally anyone can do the dispensing course in a year, If you have been a decent counter assistant and learnt that course properly and curious about dispensing it should be fairly straightforward.

No the course wasn't worth it for me, I got a small payrise of 40p an hour. I left pharmacy and that's what I'd advise other people to do (or get into hospital).

Comment

When I started in pharmacy I was advised to get qualified (pharmacist) or get out quick.
        johnep

Comment

When I did my nvq2 dispensing, which was about 7 years ago it paid some thing like £1.50 or £2 per hour more than minimum wage think it was £7 odd an hour. Now the minimum wage has gone up and our counter assistants are on minimum wage but nvq 2 dispensers are only on 40p more. The course itself is not difficult but it's a commitment to coursework for not much benefit in the long run. The main benefit I see is you can get that and then try to get a job in hospital.

Comment

I'm just coming to the end of my NVQ2 and have really enjoyed it. I've done the MCA equivalent alongside it as a combined course.

I would say go for it - it opens up oppertunities should you ever wish to move on, and if you stay where you are Ive found it interesting and the pace and variety of tasks interesting and rewarding.

From the sounds of things I'm very lucky to have found work in a well-run pharmacy with a good team though but the course isn't very demanding in itself and I think it's worth a try.

Comment

Working...
            X