Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pharmacy technician - which union??

Hi,
    was hoping to get some advice if possible. I'm an ACT in a community independent, and would like to join a union. I've asked around but none of the other techs i work with belong to one. Pharmacist recommended PDA, but this seems to be for pharmacists only. Does anyone else belong to a union, and if so which one.
    thanks =)

APTUK, Unison. Sparky should know all about these.
    johnep

Comment

Ex-rep.

My answer is not going to be a popular one. Basically whichever one is best locally. This may even, shock horror, be one that isn't recognised in your workplace.

The PDA are for pharmacists only (a disadvantage in terms of perspective and they need a good kick up the arse from some fresh blood). Regrettably imho it's one reason among many others why pharmacy T&Cs are so bad.

Wouldn't go near USDAW with a barge pole (they have a lot of dealings with the shoe). Unite have quite a few pharmacy dealings. I belong to UNITE fwiw. GMB I have respect for.

The reason why I say whichever is best locally is employment law is all about the company policies and how that intertwines with wider issues. You have to have someone accessible locally who's reasonably sharp on this. Reasonably sharp has nowt to do with how many certificates the people have or bragging about 30 years as a union official. Or how amenable they are or how they appear. Sometimes officials are lazy dullards, or simply very busy or don't care. There is literally no point being in a union that claims to be the best or someone else says is the best if the office is 50-100 miles away and you've never met and it takes days to get hold of them on the phone. A good union is built on good and local reps, often despite of the nomenklatura at head office. In an ideal world you wouldn't have those guys.

P.S. if anyone from the PDA is reading this, please don't send me PMs. You're got much more importants things to be doing guys .

Comment

To be fair, 'mctlr' I suspect pharmacy terms and conditions are what they are because historically the NPA sat on both sides of the negotiating table!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlyn View Post
          To be fair, 'mctlr' I suspect pharmacy terms and conditions are what they are because historically the NPA sat on both sides of the negotiating table!
          Do tell.

Comment

Interesting thread..The APTUK are NOT a union and represent about 10% of Pharmacy Technicians,,,,The PDA can be a Union for who they decide to be ,as inin their constitution...If Technicians need a union perhaps a Technician should set one up.......???????

Comment

Working...
            X