Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHS Bans Fax Machines

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...-soon-possible

I'm sure that there will be the stiffest of penalties for pharmacists who completely ignore this and continue to receive faxes.

We do have patients who ask if their prescription has been faxed over yet, even though most of them arrive by EPS.
    Hope they don't ask this during an inspection otherwise we could be in serious trouble.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

So, can CD scripts be sent via EPS?
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      So, can CD scripts be sent via EPS?
      johnep
      Its currently being piloted in parts of London

Comment

Back in the day when I owned two pharmacies we'd buy in bulk and store at the larger premises. The easiest way for the smaller pharmacy to send an order over was to fax it. In that situation again I'd question whether our not my business had fax machines was any damn business of some idiot politician

Comment

Can’t see why you shouldn’t be able to carry on, Racer2. What I think isn’t appreciated by the powers that be is the need for sight of a document bearing the signature of an authorised person. However, the EPS system seems to work perfectly well locally, although I’m not sure how the pharmacist knows that the medication has been authorised by an appropriate person. I’ve sat in a surgery and watched the GP starting the process, but I cannot imagine that a GP handles the repeats, and there could well be a loophole there.

But not being involved, apart from as a patient, I don’t know.

Comment

We had a surgery phone up once to ask why we hadn’t delivered the emergency prescription that they’d faxed over that morning. I don’t know who they’d faxed it to, but it wasn’t us. I offered to contact the PCT because of breach of patient confidentiality, but they said they’d take care of that. I bet they didn’t.

Happily retired now, especially happy at this time of year not to be working in pharmacy any more

Comment

Originally posted by Racer2 View Post

Happily retired now, especially happy at this time of year not to be working in pharmacy any more
              Could be exciting though, couldn’t it!

Comment

Yes, virtually everyone else will be on holiday from lunch time Friday. I used to have to work on the Saturday, then come in Monday and back at work on Thursday while everyone else on holiday until Jan 2nd.
                That is what I enjoyed about working in industry.
                johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Merlyn View Post

Could be exciting though, couldn’t it!
                  Not really, I was usually in a state of collapse by Christmas. Patients coming in asking how long we were closed for, and being shocked that it was only a couple of days, when they'd all been behaving like we got a couple of weeks off. At least the money was good in those days, not sure the present generation do as well.

Comment

Surgeries press the wrong button and green script and then fax instead of redoing it at EPS. We're expected to go and pick up the script. It's stupid.

Out of hours are terrible for faxing stuff. If out of hours were on EPS there would be quite a substantial advantage there. They can't fax stuff for toffee, it never comes through and several times had faxes that have come through with dodgy unreadable quality.

Comment

Oh, so what will happen to OOH if faxes banned?
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                        Oh, so what will happen to OOH if faxes banned?
                        johnep
                        They'll have to give the script to the patients and patients will have to become more patient.

I suspect when pregabalin and gabapentin become Schedule 3 controlled drugs in April 2019, that fax machines will suddenly come back into fashion. I still have a surgery that to this day swears that it's legal to fax stuff, that not only is it fine if we want to fax them stuff, but that it's fine if they fax us stuff and it's a shame the pharmacists on duty are always so awkward.

Comment

Oh Yes, everyone is happy if we break the rules/law on their behalf for their convenience.
                          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by mcitr View Post

They'll have to give the script to the patients and patients will have to become more patient.

I suspect when pregabalin and gabapentin become Schedule 3 controlled drugs in April 2019, that fax machines will suddenly come back into fashion. I still have a surgery that to this day swears that it's legal to fax stuff, that not only is it fine if we want to fax them stuff, but that it's fine if they fax us stuff and it's a shame the pharmacists on duty are always so awkward.
                            Nothing stopping them faxing the image of the EPSR2 token and we could retrieve the script on the spine?

A patient asked if there EPS prescription had arrived... pronounced as the word eps rather than the initials E.P.S.
                            We hadn't got a clue until we realised it was not a drug name abbreviated to eps but E.P.S.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

Nothing stopping them faxing the image of the EPSR2 token and we could retrieve the script on the spine?

A patient asked if there EPS prescription had arrived... pronounced as the word eps rather than the initials E.P.S.
                              We hadn't got a clue until we realised it was not a drug name abbreviated to eps but E.P.S.
                              I have people say it's been faxed to me all the time 10+ times a day, I don't bat an eyelid, I just try and work out whether it was genuinely a fax, whether it's an EPS that's not been sent, whether it's a batch, whether it's a click and collect, whether it's a private RX. I will only comment to a patient about them incorrectly saying it's a fax if the way they say it is so completely wrong and incomprehensible that it might confuse and waste a lot of time, and even then kindly that it might be an idea to say xyz next time, if they can remember.

Indeed there is nothing stopping OOH faxing the image of the EPSR2 token and retrieving it. Assuming that OOH goes EPS before the next ice age. Really, really hoping that EPS S2 and S3 CDs come on board sometime in 2019 and that OOH goes EPS.

I want as speedy as possible a service for patients with stress minimised. Unfortunately in my experience faxes and a surgery/OOH not being EPS generally does not run smoothly and adds significantly to wait times/stress.

I don't work in a surgery so I don't know what ultimately causes the issue. There are surgeries that have been on EPS a significant amount of time where particularly on a friday, when the volume becomes unmanageable, the stress levels are high and fatigue sets in the scripts get greened 'accidentally' and then the go to fall back option is get a receptionist to fax it. Even if you go through the rigmarole and talk to a receptionist who understands they will say we're sorry we can't do it EPS it must be faxed or you'll make the patient a very unhappy person (either money or don't understand or can't be arsed).

I've been told that a lot of misunderstandings about EPS are sometimes 'locum doctors' turn up and don't know how to use the system so just green script stuff. I'm sceptical about this theory. Most surgeries don't know with EPS that the doctor can override it on a one off basis without changing the nomination.

There are many problems faxes in my experience:-
                              - it often takes several attempts to receive
                              - scan/print quality varies, it really is sometimes unreadable
                              - it wastes vast amounts of time having to ring the surgery, try and get through and tell them we can't do it
                              - some surgeries refuse to splash the cash and post it to us, often saying that it'll cost them a stamp
                              - we are expected to spend several quid in time/petrol to go and pick up a single prescription, often for 1 item.
                              - it annoys the hell out of the patients who blame us probably 70% of the time and surgery 30% of the time.
                              - a mad minority of surgeries that insist it's legal six months after GDPR to send a fax.
                              - often the faxes have been for schedule 2 or 3 CDs. after tramadol changed schedule this used to happen often for a while and the same will happen for gabapentin and pregabalin.
                              - occasionally OOH does knock a door run and faxes stuff later just as they are closing the door and going home. Try and ring up, they've gone home! Patient turns up, fax failed/pharmacist can't do.
                              - fax number same number as telephone number so ties that up
                              - fax uses a fair whack of leccy and the printer toner is more of a nuisance to order

Faxes are a complete nightmare. There are advantages for fax machines, there are some downsides for EPS that we all know about, but generally it causes a lot of time wasting issues.

I'm not surprised that investigations have been done and they've found the NHS is addicted to fax machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X