Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are customers becoming aggressive and demanding now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran my own pharmacies for 30 years. I didn’t tolerate rudeness from customers towards my staff or myself. I told one customer off for sexually harassing one of the delivery drivers, for heavens sake.
    I never bothered with a complaints SOP either

Comment

Originally posted by mcitr View Post

We work in retail and aren't business owners.

The complaints SOP is the most important out of all the SOPs.

We had a complaint a while back where a new patient complained about two members of staff because they couldn't get what they wanted - a batch, immediately, basically. Pharmacist had to spend 10 minutes talking to member of the public in the consultation room and just say nice things to them and apologise even though no action was taken whatsoever - no comment whatsoever by the pharmacist. Member of the public of course had the last say and on the way back came back to the counter and yelled harumph I shall go to another pharmacy. To the corporate suits it's 'lost business' even though this person who was rather demanding and aggressive tried our pharmacy, got our business and we couldn't give them what they wanted as it was impossible.
      Many, many years ago when I'd tried aand failed to mollify an unreasonable complainer, who 'yelled I shall go to another pharmacy' someone else remarked that people who were unreasonable in one shop were going to be unreasonable elsewhere and would in fact end up coming back if, for example, we were most convenient for them!

My 'favourite' complainer was while I was locumming. Guy came in waving a prescription and saying he was in a hurry. I looked at the prescription and said that I'll have to check this. He grabbed the form back, said he hadn't got time and rushed out to his car. We saw him driving North; the next pharmacy that way was at least ten miles away and in a town centre. (Where I was locumming was on the edge of town.)
      Last edited by Merlyn; 9th, December 2018, 12:04 PM. Reason: Failure of spellcheck plus FFS

Comment

Oh Yes. Customers demand priority because: They are parked on yellow lines, Children/pets left in car, carpark time nearly up. etc
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Merlyn View Post

Many, many years ago when I'd tried aand fasiled to mollify an unreasonable complainer, who 'yelled I shall go to another pharmacy' someone else remarked that people who were unreasonable in one shop were going to be unreasonable elsewhere and would in fact end up coming back if, for example, we were most convenient for them!

My 'favourite' complainer was while I was locumming. Guy came in waaving a prescription and saying e was in a hurry. I looked at the prescription and said that I'll have to check this. He grabbed the form back, said he hadn't got time and rushed out to his car. We saw him driving Norrh; the next pharmacy that way was at least ten miles away and in a town centre. (Where I was locumming was on the dege of town.)
          A woman was waving a rx for her 8 week old child, never had it before so we had to start a pmr and check dose , she claimed she did not have time and we should do this straight away when I clarified that I need to check the dose for her childs safety, she said to my surprise, who do you think you are, the doctor wrote this are u saying u know more!!!! I said yes when it comes to drugs I do!

I find women customers don't like seeing a woman pharmacist makes them feel inadequate if themselves jobless or poorly educated, so some try their best to redicule.

Comment

Primrose, my mother was a pharmacist. The company she founded owned several pharmacies, one of which was very busy indeed. My mother tended to work in the No 2 pharmacy, whih was quieter. My father, not a pharmacist, but 'general manager' was based in the busier.
            My mother wasn't at all worried about 'telling it like it was' to people...... that they couldn't/shouldn't have whatever...... and in those circumstances was often told that the customer/patient would 'go and see Mr X, and he'd sort her out!'
            Needless to say he didn't.

Comment

I regret somewhat true. When teaching at a girls school, the headmistress said she liked to have a couple of male teachers in the staff room as it prevented the women from being bitchy.
              We did have one teacher who appeared to me to belittle the younger ones. The maths master told me that her fiance had been killed in the war and she was jealous of the young ones talking about their boy friends.
              However,some men in a position of power abuse this natural deference, eg film/tv agents and producers.
              johnep

Comment

Primrose, my mother was a pharmacist. The company she founded owned several pharmacies, one of which was very busy indeed. My mother tended to work in the No 2 pharmacy, whih was quieter. My father, not a pharmacist, but 'general manager' was based in the busier.
                My mother wasn't at all worried about 'telling it like it was' to people...... that they couldn't/shouldn't have whatever...... and in those circumstances was often told that the customer/patient would 'go and see Mr X, and he'd sort her out!'
                Needless to say he didn't.
                I can 100% believe this scenario, MrX your boss lol I just laugh now and say do you know ? We are allowed to vote now? ...lol

Comment

Many, many years ago when I'd tried and failed to mollify an unreasonable complainer, who 'yelled I shall go to another pharmacy' someone else remarked that people who were unreasonable in one shop were going to be unreasonable elsewhere and would in fact end up coming back if, for example, we were most convenient for them!
                  Absolutely the case and very wise. The person complaining was telling member of staff A about how bad another pharmacy was so they would try us.

I've told my boss this generally about repeat business, I think they sort of agree, but the regional manager doesn't (not really a surprise).

Comment

Although some patients are a royal PITA, I used to say to the staff that we've got thousands of perfectly nice, reasonable people who we don't think about, because we get upset about a tiny minority, and to remember that it usually takes us to Easter to eat all the biscuits we get given at Christmas each year by the people who do appreciate what we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer2 View Post
                      Although some patients are a royal PITA, I used to say to the staff that we've got thousands of perfectly nice, reasonable people who we don't think about, because we get upset about a tiny minority, and to remember that it usually takes us to Easter to eat all the biscuits we get given at Christmas each year by the people who do appreciate what we do.
                      I remember telling a new dispenser not to upset a certain over demanding but never rude lady she said why , because she brings the biggest most high quality lindor chocolate every christmas and Easter! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Racer2 View Post
                        Sounds good. There's only one patient that buys anyone stuff in the main pharmacy where I work.

It's a minority, but I'm not sure it's a tiny minority any more. This is what this thread's about. The point I was making badly is in retail, there's a lot of passive aggression by patients, this when you add it up makes a sizeable minority of people that are so from the much smaller figures of those who are directly aggressive. As everyone gets on differently with different patients, it's sometimes not spotted by others.

Comment

Working...
                        X