Pharmacy Delivery Drivers or Operators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy Delivery Drivers or Operators

Should they be registered with the GPhC and be regulated and required to have liability insurance?
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

No.

If it was an NHS service then my view may be different.

Of course with GDPR you can argue whether delivery services should exist at all now on that very point apart from urgent need or disabled ...

strictly speaking if a charge is made like a large chain that may be regarded as contractual therefore allowable.

Comment

If delivery men were regulated etc then P"U would be in trouble.
      johnep

Comment

Surely if the GPhC were going to regulate delivery drivers then they would need some say into how they are trained and what counts as qualifications. In this instance a delivery driver only needs a driving license for which training and registration is by the dvlc and the GPhC has no say in the matter. Being able to use a GPS would be an advantage but that is now included in the ordinary driving test.

I cant think of an example where a driver would need to be specially trained just to drive round the streets dropping off parcels.

Comment

It is a worry that this is someone else that the RP is responsible for, or could be held responsible for.
          Responsible for what they did, when they did it; what they didn't do and when they didn't do it.
          ... all this is getting a lot of us into an OCD terror state.

47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
            It is a worry that this is someone else that the RP is responsible for, or could be held responsible for.
            Responsible for what they did, when they did it; what they didn't do and when they didn't do it.
            ... all this is getting a lot of us into an OCD terror state.
            And? The RP is also responsible for medicine counter assistants and dispensers, neither of which are regulated or have liability insurance. What makes drivers different?

Comment

The Prestatyn case illustrates how authorities could go after the person (an assistant in this case) who handed the package to the pt.
              johnep

Comment

No. They should be inducted and trained like any other employee. They should be trained to comply with the comprehensive, detailed Pharmacy Delivery SOP and their contract of employment and staff handbook. They should receive information governance and clinical governance training. I always found that retired police officers made the best delivery drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianA View Post
                  No. They should be inducted and trained like any other employee. They should be trained to comply with the comprehensive, detailed Pharmacy Delivery SOP and their contract of employment and staff handbook. They should receive information governance and clinical governance training. I always found that retired police officers made the best delivery drivers.
                  As long as the pharmacy SOP's are robust this is the best answer we have to driver training at the moment.

In reality the GPhC could append any requirements to drivers that they wanted. The fact that there is no commissioned delivery service is a matter for NHS England and not an issue for our regulator.

The driver spends a lot of time in control of drugs with special storage conditions so as things stand are probably one of the highest risks in community pharmacy.
                  I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Working...
                  X