Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Boots ballot, a chance for an Independant voice at work. Ends Friday June 1st.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boots ballot, a chance for an Independant voice at work. Ends Friday June 1st.

Has everyone cast their votes?
    Last edited by Backbone; 14th, May 2018, 04:28 PM.

I was wondering how many members on here may have voted or know people that have as a derecognition of the BPA and subsequent recognition of the independant PDAU could secure advantages in recognition on terms and conditions and other working aspects, for pharmacists and pre-reg Pharmcacists.....??? Does anyone have any views on this as going fowards the outcome could have wider impacts across the profession...I'd be interested in hearing your views....
    Last edited by Backbone; 15th, May 2018, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Wider impacts?

Retail just doesn't work like that. A number of recognition agreements have come into force. They don't magically lift people in other companies.

Comment

There's no ideal world but the ability to negotiate on pay ,terms and condition are important to staff. There are a wide range of other aspects that can be addressed around risk and patient safety/staffing............. There is no 'magic lift' in anything but tangiable improvements in some factors I've mentioned will be a step in the right direction....

Comment

Originally posted by mcitr View Post
          Wider impacts?

Retail just doesn't work like that. A number of recognition agreements have come into force. They don't magically lift people in other companies.
          Not directly ... but it provides a springboard. ‘Rome was not built in a day’.

Comment

Originally posted by dippsy View Post

I agree but this change has to occur to allow the process to develop......the current status quo in existence will not archive a development outcome that staff desrve and indeed should have access to......

Comment

Originally posted by dippsy View Post

I've been a trade union rep. If you are an effective force with good reps, good members and not a bunch of nomenklatura at head office you can build membership quickly. The laugh is like here they all say they are the best thing since sliced bread, in truth the UK has some shockingly bad trades unions.

The problem here is the antiquated recognition laws, which with sweetheart deals deliberately allow this sort of thing. I very much hope the BPA are toast and then the PDA get their turn, which in the fullness of time people can argue about what a complacent bunch they are and they were nearly as bad as the last lot! Or maybe they'll be a real force for good in Boots, but my experience tells me otherwise.

Unions get very, very complacent when they get either agreements and particularly full recognition.

Comment

I’ve been a trade union rep as well. This thing is not about representation in disciplinaries etc But it is about trying to put into force standards across the industry relating to working conditions, fair remuneration and stress management. That can only be a good thing.

Personally, I have been fortunate as I have only ever worked in very good pharmacies that have generally looked after their staff. However, with the government agenda and squeezing of pharmacy funds, Employers are much more likely to give working conditions and staff secondary priority to their own customers.

to stick with the status quo is only to allow things to deteriorate significantly. If there are multiple unions involved, this could only result in a fragmented approach. At the moment, the employee sector and pharmacy needs a coordinated voice. This can only be achieved in the way things happening at the moment.

Comment

There is no 'industry' wide. The pay deals in retail or conditions are only given to those with sites with better unions. Those without get nothing. Nothing. Conditions where they are poor as it is the retail sector. Retail begats retail. I have worked in some very poor sites. You get your conditions up by having a good H&S rep. Your big discrimination cases in disciplinaries are what bring behavioural change. You campaign on pay and everything else and bring the nomenklatura in head office along kicking and screaming with you into the 21st century.

Multiple unions is not a bad thing. The London Underground has its members without a degree get in the top 50 job codes in the country. It has several unions all negotiating at once!

The idea of one union for the whole sector is misguided, whoever that is head office will loaf around, initially things will be better and over time standards and pay will slip.

Anyway with the greatest respect you are going to get fragmentation because as I understand it the PDA being a minority excluding union only accept pharmacists and pre-regs etc. You therefore need at least a second union in the sector!

Comment

Perhaps APTUK could organise the techs.
                    johnep

Comment

I can understand why PDA is only for Pharmacists. The techs do need a body for themselves ...but as the APTUK has such a small proportion of its own as members they are unable to speak with a voice of 'representation'.

I hope the PDAU secure recognition in Boots for the sake of Pharmacist and Pre-Reg Pharmacists in the company... Good staff working conditions underpin enhanced patient safety.

I think a positive result for PDAU would impact on the wider profession and improvements in other companies.

It's time the working environment issues/safety were addressed more robustly ....:-)

Comment

Originally posted by mcitr View Post
                        There is no 'industry' wide. The pay deals in retail or conditions are only given to those with sites with better unions. Those without get nothing. Nothing. Conditions where they are poor as it is the retail sector. Retail begats retail. I have worked in some very poor sites. You get your conditions up by having a good H&S rep. Your big discrimination cases in disciplinaries are what bring behavioural change. You campaign on pay and everything else and bring the nomenklatura in head office along kicking and screaming with you into the 21st century.

Multiple unions is not a bad thing. The London Underground has its members without a degree get in the top 50 job codes in the country. It has several unions all negotiating at once!

The idea of one union for the whole sector is misguided, whoever that is head office will loaf around, initially things will be better and over time standards and pay will slip.

Anyway with the greatest respect you are going to get fragmentation because as I understand it the PDA being a minority excluding union only accept pharmacists and pre-regs etc. You therefore need at least a second union in the sector!
                        You have to start from somewhere and that needs to be initiated by at least one Union. Can’t see any other union taking on the mantle so what else is there?

Personally, my allegiance is to pharmacists ... after all I am one of them. However, this is being observed by multiple sectors and not just pharmacy so there is scope for multiple unions after this that can look after others ... and not just in pharmacy based establishments!

As I said, any union is welcome to take on the might of Boots but I can’t see any actually doing just that - why is that the case? It has the prospect to rebalance relationships between employers and employees.

Comment

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

I think this video really encapsulates the advantages within Boots and the wider profession if the PDAU become the recognised union within that company...

Comment

Very well said. Call into your local branch and ensure that you give the pharmacist the link.
                            johnep

Comment

The PDAU I believe have requested an extension to the ballot period due to some people reporting not receiving ballot papers on time and other details that were necessary at the starting date of the ballot ",...,until a decision is reached by the central arbitration committee the original and current deadline is Wedneday 23/5/18, MIDDAY so eligible people should vote ASAP and encourage colleagues to do so.....

Comment

Working...
                              X