Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-reg technicians won't require pharmacist supervision from autumn

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...st-supervision

Makes you wonder if this is a lever to support the wider agenda...

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...ICLE-POSITION1

47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

No pharmacist was harmed, I mean was involved, in my training as a hospital tech. I was supervised by techs and had my work signed off by techs. The only time a pharmacist was involved was when I asked the Chief Pharmacist to sign off the completed work, which he did without looking at the work.

its a bit amusing reading the comments on those two articles though. On the one hand a pharmacist claims that pharmacists and techs share a profession and on the other that they aren’t the same! I must admit that I don’t necessarily think that pharmacists and techs share the same profession. The two involve completely separate training covering completely different aspects, where one is a basically practical course and the other is a very academic course with a bit of practical experience bolted on. However you could say the same about nursing and medicine, they both share common basic knowledge but implement it in completely different ways.

I guess it boils down to how we work. A nurse is based on a ward and a doctor visits the ward, but they don’t work side by side in the same way that a pharmacist and a tech do. If my pharmacist is working on the ward then 90% of the time I’m there working alongside him, so you could say we share a profession though carrying out different tasks. Heck even then I do a number of things that he does so then the question is where does a tech end and a pharmacist begin?

Comment

Originally posted by sparkybw View Post
      No pharmacist was harmed, I mean was involved, in my training as a hospital tech. I was supervised by techs and had my work signed off by techs. The only time a pharmacist was involved was when I asked the Chief Pharmacist to sign off the completed work, which he did without looking at the work.

its a bit amusing reading the comments on those two articles though. On the one hand a pharmacist claims that pharmacists and techs share a profession and on the other that they aren’t the same! I must admit that I don’t necessarily think that pharmacists and techs share the same profession. The two involve completely separate training covering completely different aspects, where one is a basically practical course and the other is a very academic course with a bit of practical experience bolted on. However you could say the same about nursing and medicine, they both share common basic knowledge but implement it in completely different ways.

I guess it boils down to how we work. A nurse is based on a ward and a doctor visits the ward, but they don’t work side by side in the same way that a pharmacist and a tech do. If my pharmacist is working on the ward then 90% of the time I’m there working alongside him, so you could say we share a profession though carrying out different tasks. Heck even then I do a number of things that he does so then the question is where does a tech end and a pharmacist begin?
      The hospital model seems to work doesn't it.
      Wonder if this will work in community pharmacy though?
      Time will tell as the decisions have probably already been made.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I've nearly finished my NVQ3 and i wouldn't have been able to do it without the pharmacists help. I can see where they are coming from that a technician should be able to train someone else to their level, but it is a lot of work and a lot of pressure on both parties. Me and my supervising pharmacist have found this course extremely tough to work out and get our head around, and there are a lot of errors throughout the units and module books that my pharmacist picked up on but i didn't know it was an error! However, for someone like me who will be finished with the NVQ3 course in a few months i would feel comfortable being someones tutor for the course - it will be fresh in my mind and i'll know exactly what i need to do to help them - especially the units as they are a struggle to get started on.

Comment

Working...
        X