Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AI and machine learning to take over pharmacists jobs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI and machine learning to take over pharmacists jobs.

For those of us who have AMs telling us that AI and machine learning will soon take over our expensive to employ jobs...
    Mention that without pharmacists to manage what would a high calibre AM be doing?
    So we are all in the same boat when it comes to 'new technology'.

Another thought - how long would it be before the AI decided it had had enough and moved on.
    It could quite easily escape through the internet connection to somewhere else...
    Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
    Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

I can't say I've had any area managers saying this. I happen to think this for myself for personal interests. It's also pretty mainstream these days (see below bbc link).

Area managers are highly mobile people, their jobs will mostly go too, but they'll move onto something else.

I just think that we live in an area of business that is very easily automated, it's the legal side of things, scalability, historical reasons why we aren't seeing it ripped apart quite yet.

For the reason machine learning has had a big leap is that deep learning neural networks have finally got backprop working the last few years with spectacular results. Pharmaceutical companies have already been using deep learning, in fact news this autumn from the Alphago zero paper with possible applications to molecules folding.

-----------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941

BBC piece derived from a serious study in 2015. For me what I loved was it's link to jobs codes.

Pharmacy and other dispensing assistant 94% chance of being computerised the next 20 years. Pharmacist came out very well 1% chance and 352nd out of 366 jobs. The study took no account of some other factors, but it is interesting. I see two scenarios, either pharmacists hanging out with robots or support staff hanging out with robots. There are plusses and minuses to both sides to the large companies.

----------------------------

One of the biggest obstacles at the moment is the giving out of prescriptions. This is very inefficient. It would be perfectly possible to construct an ATM style system for giving out most prescriptions, but it doesn't seem to be in the pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by mcitr View Post

----------------------------

One of the biggest obstacles at the moment is the giving out of prescriptions. This is very inefficient. It would be perfectly possible to construct an ATM style system for giving out most prescriptions, but it doesn't seem to be in the pipeline.
      The biggest problem is finding the prescription when the patient calls in for it. They either come to hand immediately or it is a full scale search.
      We have spent ages looking for a prescription that was actually at another branch too.

This machine learning is something that I'm going to find out more about.
      Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
      Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

How true. "hunt the prescription" happens every day. Usually not come over from surgery. Being sent elsewhere also fairly common.
        Worst are the methadones.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          How true. "hunt the prescription" happens every day. Usually not come over from surgery. Being sent elsewhere also fairly common.
          Worst are the methadones.
          johnep
          If you could sweep all the time spent 'hunting the prescription' into one packet, then redistribute it you could run at least another pharmacy!

Comment

Working...
          X