Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy Valuation and Buying

Hi everyone

I have have been thinking to buy a pharmacy which I’ve been working at for last 5 years, as pharmacy manager/superintendent pharmacist.

The main points to consider are:

100 hour Pharmacy in London,

Asking price in excess of 450K for the Goodwill, Fixtures, Fittings plus stock cost of £40K.

1) item number: average 4,384 per month of which 2000 are weekly dossetts from weekly repeat prescriptions RA/RD batches (but not from any care homes)

2) Turn over:

2017: £555,613
    2016: £607,801
    2015: £677,140
    2014: £765,737

3) Gross profit:

2017: £244,469, margin: 44%
    2016: £290,052, margin: 47.72%
    2015: £295,657, margin: 43.66%
    2014:£338,952

4) Expenses including staff and pharmacists wages (Year ended 30 June):

2017: £196,706,
    2016: £201,464 ,
    2015: 215,756
    2014: 228,524

Net profit before taxation (excluding pharmacist wage):

2017: £55,600
    2016: £88,588
    2015: £79,900
    2014: £110,422

Pharmacy was doing wholesale as well until approximately 2014/2015.

5) location: London

6) competition:

Prescription Items:

Pharmacy 1: 3425
    Pharmacy 2: 7576 (100 hour pharmacy inside surgery with 21647 patients)
    Pharmacy 3: 6706
    Pharmacy 4: 4357
    Pharmacy 5: not sure
    Pharmacy 6: not sure

7) surgeries patients list:

Surgery 1: 10895
    Surgery 2: 21647
    Surgery 3: 8140
    Surgery 4: 2875

8)NHS net payments from FP34 forms:

Sept:£32486
    August: £30384
    July:£45,625
    June 2017:£26519
    May 2017: £36927
    Apr 2017: £33612

Calculated to be: approximately £445K per year

OTC& Shop floor sales: approximately £147000/ year

MUR target of 400 has been achieved every year plus some NMS.

There are some private PGDs, and locally commissioned services but not significant in value.

Has lease of 10 years.

Premises Exempt from Business Rates

Rent: approximately £10,000

Landlord: local Council

Reason for sale: owner previously worked on Sundays at this pharmacy and in addition owns other pharmacies and has recently bought 3 more pharmacies, and wants to reduce his commitments.

My Questions:

1) Considering the above points, is the asking price a FAIR PRICE? (In London)

2) How do you value a pharmacy? (I have done some reading on internet but not 100% sure about it yet, specially with regards to 100 hour pharmacies)

3) I have been told by the owner there is already an offer of £450K, and couple of days ago been told again there is another offer for £460K. How do I know either the owner or the agency are telling the truth about the bidding?

4) Can the accountant change the figures (e.g., Turnover, Expenses etc) in order to make them look better for a potential buyer? (however I have done my calculations for 2016/2017 and they seem to be right)

5) How long will the process of selling/buying take?

6) Can I put down less than 20% deposit? (with my property as security), and how much does my property need to have in equity in order to be used as security?

7) Are there any other sources to obtain finance from for

1)STOCK (40K)

and

2)If the bank values the pharmacy LESS than the asking price?

8) Is there anything else I need to watch out for?

I would appreciate your comments and guidance.

Thanks a lot

Look. The GP figures are what the previous owner achieved. What will you achieve? What have you based your calculations on?

1. Ascertain the validity of items.
    2. Average item value will give you an indication if there are a 7 day Rx's. You will need to adjust for these if GP reverts to 28 day Rx's.
    3. Forget his staff costs. How many do you feel you need. Don't skimp. Take the higher figure (yours vs vendors).
    4. Other running costs? Go with their figures.
    5. Work out how much you need to live? Don't skimp!
    6. Activity fee is a constant.
    7. What purchase profit WILL you achieve?

6 & 7 will give you your GP. Deduct the costs. Allow £700/£100000/month for a loan. If this isn't crystal clear. PM me.

Comment

Don't try to work 100 hours to control costs - how cheap is your health and wellbeing while you are at the beck and call of the local community?
      Also the existing staff will be TUPE to you.
      Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
      Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

You need professional advice from an accountant and a solicitor with experience in this area. They can offer far more insight than anyone here.

Comment

Originally posted by hibernia View Post
          You need professional advice from an accountant and a solicitor with experience in this area. They can offer far more insight than anyone here.
          Really??? My accountant does my tax returns. He does the same for his 100+ contractor clients. He can tell you that his client base has varying GP's, but as to why? Not a chance. He has no idea of the nitty gritty of a Pharmacy contract. That is not his field.
          My solicitor also has 100+ Pharmacy contractor clients. He will read through my lease and particulars of sale. As to valuation? He has no idea. That is not his field.
          My bank will not seek my accountants or solicitors opinion on the merits of my business plans. They will speak to me directly.
          By all means disagree with our advice. We are contractors living the reality. We know our job far better than any accountant or solicitor. Surely?

Comment

3) I have been told by the owner there is already an offer of £450K, and couple of days ago been told again there is another offer for £460K. How do I know either the owner or the agency are telling the truth about the bidding?

You don't. Although you know these people so one would hope you can gauge - although maybe closeness could blind you to other factors. You should also know what the non-monetary factors are in negotiation. Perhaps the owner likes you. Perhaps they want to see continuity. Perhaps they have an emotional attachment to it.

What are the black swans? Such as a GP surgery closes or merges with catastrophic loss of business for either you or another pharmacy. It could be a merger, it could be surgery buyout, it could be partners are the same age and decide to retire at 60 or early. The OTC sales are good. What factors are there for this to decline radically?

Also on the 100 hour thing. If the landscape changes significantly, would you have the ability and skills to negotiate a new contract down to say something more sustainable like 75-80 hours with the LPC?

Look up ackerman bargaining. Look up 'labelling' and other techniques in negotiation, not just business school type ones.

Comment

Net profit £55k and declining. Am I missing something or doesn't that mean you'd have to work all 100 hours with no holidays just to take home £55k/year? Unless it had huge growth potential or potential to increase margins dramatically you'd be better off locuming, even as an ACT! And that's assuming you didn't have a £30k/year loan repayment commitment!

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer Cyst View Post
                Net profit £55k and declining. Am I missing something or doesn't that mean you'd have to work all 100 hours with no holidays just to take home £55k/year? Unless it had huge growth potential or potential to increase margins dramatically you'd be better off locuming, even as an ACT! And that's assuming you didn't have a £30k/year loan repayment commitment!
                The pharmacist salary is already factored into the expenses, so we don't know how much he gets paid, and the net profit is extra.

Comment

I think you need to carefully consider the figures here. From what you're telling us, the turnover has been decreasing by around 50k per year. More importantly, the net profit has been going down every year as well without fail. What's been happening over the last 5 years to cause this drop? Have you noticed less scripts or less sales?

Comment

Originally posted by A Pharmacist View Post
                    I think you need to carefully consider the figures here. From what you're telling us, the turnover has been decreasing by around 50k per year. More importantly, the net profit has been going down every year as well without fail. What's been happening over the last 5 years to cause this drop? Have you noticed less scripts or less sales?
                    And more work to achieve this?
                    Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
                    Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
                    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I would be cautious with this:

all the udusl KPI's such as turnover, net profit have been consistently dropping. You say you've been in charge for last few years - do you know why? What will you do differently that you are not doing now?

the other big factor for me is the 2000 items on weekly Rx. Most CCGs are discouraging GPs from issuing weekly Rx and it will only be a matter of time till these will be stopped. Supposing you are still happy to continue to dispense for the patients on 28day Rx you'll be down to less then 3000 items which could quite easily make you unviable especially with a huge cost base of 100 hours and the current funding cuts.Banks normally discount weekly Rx when they value for lending purposes.

in any case even if the items were stable at £55k net you are at risk if you have a big loan and there are further funding cuts.

When valuing a pharmacy you should look at its EBITDA which is effectively the profit minus loan interest, depreciation and extraudinary expenses. Your NP figure does not clarify if it's EBITDA or NP (i.e. Has depreciation included). Banks will normally value a 40 hour contract between 5-8 times EBITDA (higher for better quality/secure pharmacies such as Heslth centre)

gut feeling is your about bout to over pay for a declining business which could lose a further 1500 items if weeklies are stopped. If your looking to borrow more than 60-70% be careful.

However - bare in mind none of us in this group have seen this shop or worked there. Ultimately if you feel there is potential - make a sensible offer.

Comment

You need help in valuing this pharmacy before making a bid and incurring costs. Is lease/rent included in expenses? You cannot buy a pharmacy without the services of a knowledgeable and competent solicitor/accountant and significant associated costs. Don't make an expensive mistake! I know of people that have spent £20-25k before realising it wasn't worth it. Wasted!

Comment

Gross profit hovering around an average of 45% looks suspect to me. I thought that 25-30% was more likely. 20 years ago my own business grossed ~25% which was in line with other businesses in the area. More recently I have seen people quoting 30% (although margins are supposed to have dropped).

Comment

Working...
                          X