Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-op is closing 26 stores!

Merged Co-op group announces store cuts | PJ Online

any buyers? Co-op failing in these branches does not mean that you have to fail in running them efficiently and building your own business.
    for the 1st time ever I hear that around 120 posts with Co-op are threatened, pharmacy market is no longer immune to unemployment!
    Last edited by Rafael; 18, December 2008, 11:18 AM.
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Re: Co-op is closing 26 stores!

Not really surprised.
    I don't work for the co-op but know quite a few who do and they have been making counter staff redundant in some of the shops in the area I live (West Yorks).

Comment

still no one is interested? i wish i am qualified to get this chance! i would wait till they close a couple of branches, then start a new pharmacy in that area i.e no need to pay for goodwil as i would not be intending to buy any of their 'expensive' branches, and the PCT will offer NHS contract on the basis of 'necessity and need'.

shall someone make a move or wait for another unknown pharmacist to take the risk and own a pharmacy.

Jeff? Mr TS?
      Last edited by Rafael; 21, December 2008, 01:12 PM.
      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
        Jeff?
        No comment - I am not and have never been a contractor.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
          Merged Co-op group announces store cuts | PJ Online

any buyers? Co-op failing in these branches does not mean that you have to fail in running them efficiently and building your own business.
          for the 1st time ever I hear that around 120 posts with Co-op are threatened, pharmacy market is no longer immune to unemployment!
          I don't think the pharmacist is under threat though. more so the counter staff.
          3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Co-op chief rules out further closures in 2009 - Chemist + Druggist

Co-op chief rules out further closures in 2009
            [/COLOR]

Comment

does anyone locum for any of these shops? have they been closed yet?
              [/COLOR]

Comment

I am aware of co-op pharmacies that are being sold.

A word of caution Raoul, just because a pharmacy closes doesn't mean it is "necessary or desirable" to grant a new contract. Also you will always have to pay for a shopfit, stock etc and when you open where will your customers come from?

The shops that are closing are as a result of being unable to get a price at all. There are advantages in paying for goodwill so long as you don't pay too much. Remember, the co-op will have redundancy costs to find as well as disposing of a premises/lease. An offer of a nominal amount plus stock may well be sufficient.

Forget the huge prices being paid pre 2007, they are history. Prices have collapsed so yes, now is a good time.
                Last edited by Tony Schofield; 13, April 2009, 10:12 AM. Reason: imbecilic grammar
                http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

The co-op branch in the village where I live closed about 2 weeks ago - there are no other pharmacies in the village. The unit is now empty. It is a few doors down from a branch surgery (which had to close down it's dispensary when the pharmacy opened approx 2 years ago).
                  Definitely potential for someone to open a new one - the co-op's problem (as far as I can gather) is that they also own the 2 nearest pharmacies so the only trade they gained was effectively at the expense of the other 2 shops in nearby villages.

Comment

Working...
                  X