Minor Ailments schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Ailments schemes

Could somebody please clarify what these are?From what I can gather so far, they're a means by which community Phcists can supply certain P-meds to patients and get the NHS to pay for them, not the patient; it doesn't actually allow Phcists to supply drugs that would otherwise be POMs, does it? So I'd still be left saying "I know what you need, but I'm not allowed to sell it to you"...
    What frustrates me is that in Belgium I was deemed qualified enough to dispense/supply/sell fucidin cream and antibiotic eye ointments, but not so here in the UK; yet GTN sprays and EHC are fine?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

What you can supply on minor ailment schemes depends on what the PCT allow you to supply. I know that some include PGDs for e.g chloramphenicol in under 2s, but others may not.

Comment

Minor Ailments

Its a scheme whereby the GP workload for self-limiting conditions are transferred to the local community pharmacists
      The number of ailments managed under the scheme varies form PCT to PCT
      my PCT have commissioned 22 ailments.
      P'cists can only prescribe from a limited evidence- based cost effective formulary. Patients who are exempt from prescription charges benefit the most from the scheme.
      For POMs to be dispensed PGDs would have to be used,PGDs take time etc
      Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

So I suppose these schemes only work if the patient is registered with a GP practice in the same PCT (or LHB for Wales) as the Pharmacy, and the surgery must have entered into an agreement with the Phcy beforehand, so it would be totally useless in my case where the vast majority of my customers in the summer are holidaymakers from England and therefore aren't registered locally...
        Same problem with PGDs...[sigh of despair]

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
          So I suppose these schemes only work if the patient is registered with a GP practice in the same PCT (or LHB for Wales) as the Pharmacy, and the surgery must have entered into an agreement with the Phcy beforehand, so it would be totally useless in my case where the vast majority of my customers in the summer are holidaymakers from England and therefore aren't registered locally...
          Same problem with PGDs...[sigh of despair]

Cornwall was one of the trial areas and all the Drs in the county signed on but we're also allowed to do temporary residents.

We've got:

Chloramphenicol or Fucithalmic for conjunctivitis
          Fucidin for impetigo
          Trimethoprim for simple UTIs

Bugger! Forgotten the other one!

Ah! It's for nappy rash but I can't think what the cream is.
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
          pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
          eloquent-e-tales

Comment

It'll be timodine or daktacort probably...
            Sounds interesting, although if holidaymakers still have to register as TR's with a local surgery, it's still not that much of an improvement...
            Do you have any more info on your Minor Ailments scheme? I wonder if I could suggest your PGDs to our Local Health Board?

Comment

Holidaymakers don't have to register with a GP as a temporary resident we log them as TRs. We're that good!

It is a good scheme when you're not stacked out with Rxs.

The worst one is the UTI one you have to dip a sample with multistix!

Next time I see a file in work I'll get some more details for ya.
              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

The nappy rash one was Timodine.
                Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Re: Minor Ailments schemes

do you ask them to provide any proof e.g. driving licence, passport when registering patients?

any useful advices?
                  i am telling you about pharmacy life in practice, together with my personal opinions i think might be better for pharmacy practices

Comment

What is the procedure for a locum to gain accreditation to operate the schemes in your area? I find some have no accreditation requirement, others a simple declaration and yet others you must attend a training evening or else have to turn the patients away on the days you work.

Comment

Ask the relevant PCT.
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                        Ask the relevant PCT.
                        johnep
                        Yes I know that. I was just looking on nosily and wondering what other PCTs did because I know about 2 or 3 local to me and as a result I often have had to decline to operate the scheme on an emergency locum as I didn't have chance to gain accreditation. I also find that in some shops the staff do most of the work. I rather suspect that if I read the paperwork thoroughly I would find that that is not permitted. The difficulty id that the shop I am referring to in this instance I would have to employ a translator to speak to the customers. The staff member is used to running the scheme and does involve the pharmacist in more complicated cases. Most of the paperwork I sign off for her just says "child with fever, followed protocol, supplied paracetamol," so I am happy to leave her to it!

Comment

These days would need many translators. If people are going to integrate, then they should learn English.
                          johnep

Comment

I agree John. People assume that because I'm Asian, that I speak whatever language they decide to throw at me. I get many Asians trying to converse with me in Urdu, Punjabi, and when I say I can only speak English, they look at me offended as if I'm lying, which I'm not. They try again, at which point they get ignored by me and another staff member takes over.

Anyway, do locums have to personally inform the PCT with these accreditation-based services...or if they work through agencies/directly, is it sufficient to inform those people that a locum gets work through?

Comment

I had to :
                              1) Take relevant CPPE course or attend PCT run course.
                              2) If the former, then PCT would run evening, sometimes in day, additional course specific to that PCT.
                              3) Repeat for each PCT in area wish to work.

After all this, had only one smoking cessation pt and only done two MURs. Several PGD EHC and expect many of these when I work 27th December.
                              johnep
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X