Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you cope with people insisting on branded product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you cope with people insisting on branded product?

Today I got called a F****** C*** for dispensing salamol instead of ventolin for a script that asked for salbutamol inhaler. How do you cope with people who insist on a certain brand as they don't want "the cheap crap"? I've got one lady who must have Plendil, Cozaar, Losec etc even though the script is written generically!

Re: How do you cope with people insisting on branded product?

let them discuss it with their GP. tell them you would not give them the branded product unless the GP prescribe by brand.
    Last edited by Rafael; 20, November 2008, 09:32 PM.
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

I think it depends on how valuable the customer is - people who have shedloads of items every month tend to get the brands they want. Others are told they either have to accept the generic or get the prescriber to do a new script for the branded product.

Comment

The whole issue is about cost of supply. If a business is prepared to take a small hit to keep the custom, but make a lower profit by supplying branded, then so be it. It becomes tricky if supply is made at a net loss, based on profit made on other items on the same script.
        Discount on purchasing is key, as always.
        Another option for a relatively inexpensive item is to charge the difference directly to the customer. Somehow it makes them feel "special" and in my experience they usually happily pay the difference...e.g. Diazepam against Valium...often an issue..(genuine cases only, if you follow my drift)
        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by PinkGlitter View Post
          Today I got called a F****** C*** for dispensing salamol instead of ventolin for a script that asked for salbutamol inhaler.
          Neither cost a lot so say that you could offer to make a note of their preference on the PMR so that in future they had Ventolin dispensed - however the customer is always right and being a F******* C*** you no longer feel any reason to be helpful.

How do you cope with people who insist on a certain brand as they don't want "the cheap crap"? I've got one lady who must have Plendil, Cozaar, Losec etc even though the script is written generically!
          The NHS pays for "the cheap crap" by default - they do have the option to go private and pay the full price, have their GP prescribe the brand if they think it appropriate to do so, or just go elsewhere to have their prescriptions dispensed.

Am am always prepared to accede to rational requests e.g. "Could I have the oval paracetamol please because otherwise I confuse them with my metformin"

Jeff

Comment

I have only ever worked in an independant so I don't know how a big pharmacy works but customers usually tell us that Boots and Lloyds give them brands even though they are prescribed generically. Our usual reply is "go to Boots or Lloyds then" no seriously we would like to tell them that. These are the customers that only use us when the weather is bad even though they only live round the corner from us. The other thing is patients who only want specific manufacturers of generics eg. GUK citalopram. My other half is convinced that some of the metformin he has had upset his stomach "different boxes again" or "these tablets are bigger than last time, are you sure they are the right ones?"
            Make some one smile today.

Comment

This was quoted on either this forum or another pharmacy one and basically if a customer says that Boots/Lloyds always give me the brand, then just say that they were doing this at a loss as a goodwill gesture to keep your custom, as you have brought your Rx to us that obviously hasn't worked so i am not prepared to lose money either so if you want brand get it prescribed as a brand!

When i first read it i thought it an excellent reply and have since used it on acouple of occasions!

Comment

I would just add tho that salamol seems to be signifcantly less usefull than ventolin..... I worked for a large multiple who decided overnight that we were to give salamol on open sxripts - no ifs, no buts - and we lost quite a few VERY long term customers who simply could not get on with the salamol. These were not picky, troublesome customers and there were too many too be ignored. I was on the verge of putting a comment in to the MHRA.

But as there were 5 more pharmacies within easy reach, all of whom supplied ventolin against generic, these people were not denied ventolin, and other people do get on OK with it, so decided against.

The multiple refusing to allow us judgement in who was pulling a pout, who was clinically genuine, and who we would lose by not supplying ventolin (in one case, an entire family, who brought in over 100 items a month!) was probably the beginning of the end for me working there...
                Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

On the flip side we used to give Salamol for all open Rx's, now we've gone to giving Ventolin due to a brand equalisation deal. We've had at least 10 people 'demand' Salamol! You can't win!

Comment

At uni when we tested different salbutamol inhalers, Airomir came out top for most drug deposited in the lung, I think Salamol may have been second and ventolin last. I was a lowly undergrad though so it may not have been an accurate experiment!

Comment

Originally posted by Defblade View Post

The multiple refusing to allow us judgement in who was pulling a pout, who was clinically genuine, and who we would lose by not supplying ventolin (in one case, an entire family, who brought in over 100 items a month!) was probably the beginning of the end for me working there...
                      multiples are the only pharmacies who can afford giving some brands instead of generic and they are happy with that! well maybe it depends from an area manager to another...

losing customers/patients for a 30p price difference????! even if the family brings 10 items/month only, that is still would benefit your pharmacy(financially) compared with increased cost(pennies) when supplying Ventolin.
                      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by jaymags View Post
                        "these tablets are bigger than last time, are you sure they are the right ones?"
                        I wish all patients had the nouse to check that different-looking tablets are what they're supposed to be, would make dispensing and checking far less nerve-racking!
                        It'd it be lovely if everyone took an interest in the meds they take, and made damn sure they know what they're for, and that they've been prescribed and dispensed the right thing, each and every time. (And not just the mardy ones who just *have* to have that brand... )

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
                          multiples are the only pharmacies who can afford giving some brands instead of generic and they are happy with that! well maybe it depends from an area manager to another...

losing customers/patients for a 30p price difference????! even if the family brings 10 items/month only, that is still would benefit your pharmacy(financially) compared with increased cost(pennies) when supplying Ventolin.
                          This was company wide, not just area. And i suspect the price difference was rather greater than the published list prices would suggest. But I'd have thought buying full price ventolin instead of getting free salamol would still have been worth it for soem of the customers we lost....
                          Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

isnt the answer simple, all you do is tell the patient you've given them what their doctor prescribed and if they want a more expensive version of the medicine they should have asked their doctor to write it on the Rx. Hand the Rx back to them and say try somewhere else.

I'd understand if it was an owner pharmacist but cant and fail to see why an employee pharmacist would take this kind of treatment and abuse, they arent the ones to gain from the extra item(s) and yet they accept this kind of treatment for it, no wonder the public dont respect us.

I understand pharmacy's obsession with item numbers, but is that extra one or two item worth your dignity and self-respect as a healthcare professional. I've yet to see a pharmacy refuse a Rx because it was too busy or to give truthful waiting time in such cases.e.g. theres a 100 items to be dispensed and checked for a delivery thats due to go out in an hour, one pharmacist, one dispenser, already two waiting Rxs in queue a new one one comes in, waiting time given: 10 minutes, items on this Rx: ~7-10 , it's not really the counter staff who are totally to blame, abviously the pharmacy manager has failed to corectly train the staff, maybe they have failed to realise what they are (a HCP) and that they are running a pharmacy as opposed to a sweet shop, I know of one pharmacy where the manager starts an hour before opening time and stays behind for an hour after closing, to finish up all the work, does she get paid for it? no, does she get paid well generally for her actual hours and nature of shop? Another big NO. Pharmacist in general need to try to get a backbone and stop taking s£$t off people.
                            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

[quote=SolomonQ;19114] Hand the Rx back to them and say try somewhere else. quote]

Whilst I realise you're just a youngster with an axe to grind, I sincerely hope you never become ill and find yourself dealing with someone like you.
                              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Working...
                              X