Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boots are buying our Pharmacy, What to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots are buying our Pharmacy, What to expect?

Hello, first post so be nice!

Just found out that my boss is selling up to Boots/Unichem, he said that he's made sure all our contracts will be honoured etc.
    I'm currently in the middle of my tech. qualification which the new owners are apprently aware of and have no problem with me finishing it.

So I just want to know what to expect from changing from an independent to part of a massive multi-national?

Wages should stay the same until annual review/appraisal, then what, who knows?

I presume the shop will be decorated in the boots livery (staff included), and paperwork is likely to increase? (continually covering themselves thanks to the suing culture?)

Pension. As an independent pharmacy my boss wasn't required to offer any schemes because of the small number of full-time staff, I gather now that boots offer good pensions?

Other benefits, such as more holidays for length of service etc?

Union. Would it be worth joining one now, and if so, which one?

Other negatives??

Many thanks

Re: Boots are buying our Pharmacy, What to expect?

Originally posted by TangoFiver View Post
    Hello, first post so be nice!

Just found out that my boss is selling up to Boots/Unichem, he said that he's made sure all our contracts will be honoured etc.
    Yes - but there is no obligation for them to ever change.

I'm currently in the middle of my tech. qualification which the new owners are apprently aware of and have no problem with me finishing it.
    They will encourage you to do so.

So I just want to know what to expect from changing from an independent to part of a massive multi-national?
    New PMR system, new till, new SOPs.
    More paperwork, more reporting all the figures that the owner dealt with
    More opportunity for advancement and a better career structure.

Wages should stay the same until annual review/appraisal, then what, who knows?
    You accept the Boots/Alliance contract or nothing happens - your existing contract and pay continue (or increases to the legal minimum.

[/quote]I presume the shop will be decorated in the boots livery (staff included),[/quote]
    Eventually
    and paperwork is likely to increase?
    Much of the work that the owner used to do wont be done by themselves any more since they wont be there - the branch therefore has to supply all that information to head office so that they can deal with it.

Pension. As an independent pharmacy my boss wasn't required to offer any schemes because of the small number of full-time staff, I gather now that boots offer good pensions?
    Someone from human resources will hopefully come and explain that to you

[quote]Other benefits, such as more holidays for length of service etc?[quote]
    Only if you switch to a Boots/Alliance employment contract - otherwise your existing contract will be honoured. I believe you do have the choice of which contract you wish to accept.

Union. Would it be worth joining one now, and if so, which one?
    Pass

Other negatives??
    Why are you only interested in the negatives?
    It will be a time of change - and change is stressful.
    It is also an opportunity - the limits to your possible career progression have been expanded greatly.

Jeff

Comment

As a tech, there's probably less change than there would be for a pharmacist. So long as they get a permanent pharmacist/manager, they will get most of the big-multiple pressure.

If you are well-staffed currently, don't be suprised if people are not replaced when they leave.

Contracts can be changed by new employers (IIRC, they can ask for "reasonable" changes, and you can effectively make yourself redundant if you don't sign) BUT I am not a lawyer and it's a few years since I looked into this, so might be worth doing some research now. Watch out for changes in definition of a "working day" when it comes to holidays, for example.

The opportunities for advancement, learning and a career are much better at a multiple (or even exsist at all!).

It helps, as a pharmacist, if you can toe the party line on things no matter what you think. I used to work for a multiple and am now locumming so you may guess I have trouble keeping my mouth shut when it would be politic Don't think it's so bad for a tech as it probably won't be Head Office you're upsetting!

Overall, look at it as an opportunity rather than threat, keep an open mind (but a close eye on the details!) and if it turns out multiple life isn't for you, move on. Ready trained techs shouldn't have too much trouble finding a new job - keep your eye on C&D for community, PJ for hospital, prison, PCT and other weird and wonderfuls
      Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Jeff - Thanks for the reply, I'm not just interested in the negatives, but I want to know what potential ones there will be, as they are more likely to be masked by the new owners My boss (outgoing) did say that he wants me to view it as creating opportunities etc.

Deflblade - Thaks for the reply, I guess I would want to know what sort of people they are like to work for, and will we get 'area managers' etc...

A union is still possible then, undecided at the moment....

Cheers

Comment

I sold a pharmacy to Alliance a few years ago. The manager emigrated and they've had a series of locum pharmacists since. Nightmare to begin with, although things settled the last couple of years since the locums were long-term. He doesn't want to manage it because he doesn't want the hassle.

Don't expect staff that leave to be replaced without a struggle and if you're getting more than the minimum wage don't expect a pay rise !

Don't believe the bullshit you're told by incoming area/regional managers either
          The spirit of the time hath taught me speed- Wm Shakespeare- "King John"

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Racer

I should have said that we have the other full-time pharmacist (other than my boss) who is likely to stay and take up the position of pharmacy manager etc.

I might start another thread about a union then....

Ta!

Comment

Working...
            X