Motivating Pharmacy staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivating Pharmacy staff

I am a pharmacist working in community pharmacy with a team of six support staff. Lucky me I know. However i am finding it increasingly difficult to get the staff on board with the new pharmacy contract, especially the health promotion. Leading by example does not seem to be sufficient. Even after attending health promotion sessions such as smoking cessation they are reluctant to be proactive in approaching customers. Are there any other pharmacists who are experiencing similar or better still have adapted ways to encourage staff.

motivating pharmacy staff

ask yourself...what do they get out of it all ?
    If you can find anything...work on it and get them to "buy" a share in it !

mike harvey pharmacist ex-pharma
    I am interested in the reasons why ,in general pharmacists are so critical of and cynical about the industry on which their livelihood depends. I will encourage more pharmacists to seek work in the drug industry.

Comment

Motivation Skills

Hi Hot Topic

The main problem for the staff is money, or the lack of it. Having said that, not all people are motivated by money. Some people want to get their teeth stuck into doing a good job because of things like satisfaction, personsal pride, the need to please others etc

Have you ever been on one of those leadership skills courses that your last company run?

Try to find out what pushes their buttons? Sit down with them all and try to instill some pride in the place. Let them know you want the best run pharmacy in town, where people come to it just because the staff are so great. Remind them it's nice to help someone, rather then having a row with one!

What in particular are you having problems getting them to do?
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Hot Topic
        Try explaining where you want to get and the obstacles, then get them to suggest the answers - they will feel involved and if you guide them gently you will get the right anwers. They now should now feel more part of the solution and be more willing to help - particularly if you praisethem when they get it right.

Comment

As others have said - but acknowledge the difficulty in changing old habits. Make them part of the process. Miss an opportunity and then ask them to remind you.
          Paid meetings outside working hours to get everyone on board.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff

Paid meetings outside work - sounds great but I've never seen it.
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

All these ideas sound great but I;ve worked plenty of places where staff don't want to be motivated.

They want their pay and they want to go home. (Don't we all?)

Seriously, I've known people who won't go to staff meetings paid or otherwise. Dispensers that have been given greater repsonsibilities to try to get them involved and they just moan about all the extra work.

I'm not saying don't try to motivate them but just expect some to be unmotivatable. Did I just make that word up?
              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
              pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
              eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                Jeff

Paid meetings outside work - sounds great but I've never seen it.
                Lloyds had no objections (seemed quite keen on the idea actually)

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear
                  All these ideas sound great but I;ve worked plenty of places where staff don't want to be motivated.
                  Some can be more difficult than others ;-) and take longer than others.

Praise their strengths - and use the GP training formula - praise them twice before being critical once.

Seriously, I've known people who won't go to staff meetings paid or otherwise. Dispensers that have been given greater repsonsibilities to try to get them involved and they just moan about all the extra work.
                  Yup - motivation isn't a one off - it's a continuing process.

I'm not saying don't try to motivate them but just expect some to be unmotivatable. Did I just make that word up?
                  People tend to live up to expectations.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff

Jeff
                    Yup, our area manager even suggested we close the shop for one morning each month, for staff training/meetings!
                    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff

Jeff
                      Jeff

I was working at one of their stores a few weeks ago, and there was me and a young woman who had worked in a chemist for a few weeks only, on a Friday afternoon. The Saturday lad passed, and saw we were in real trouble, so he worked for two hours to help us. When I rang up head office to see if I could pay him out of the till I was told no. I ended up giving him £10 out of my own pocket for his time. Are we talking about the same company???

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
                        Yup, our area manager even suggested we close the shop for one morning each month, for staff training/meetings!
                        You are kidding right??????

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                          Jeff

I was working at one of their stores a few weeks ago, and there was me and a young woman who had worked in a chemist for a few weeks only, on a Friday afternoon. The Saturday lad passed, and saw we were in real trouble, so he worked for two hours to help us. When I rang up head office to see if I could pay him out of the till I was told no. I ended up giving him £10 out of my own pocket for his time. Are we talking about the same company???
                          It's the "pay him out of the till" bit that's the problem - you're asking head office if you can avoid tax and NI contributions - they are obliged to say no.
                          He should be paid overtime for the extra time worked, lots of "thank you, you were a great help" - and buy him a bottle of plonk, chocs from the till.

Jeff

Comment

Motivating Staff

I have followed your advice about finding out what motivates them which has been challenging. But I have introduced a regular team meeting before every new health promotion to try and share ideas. Tomorrow my fellow pharmacist and I are paying for them to go out to for a nice meal to "Celebrate our Sucesses" since the new Pharmacy Contract was introduced. Sometimes I wish one could just concentrate on the business of being a pharmacist though. I guess its just all part of the package.

Comment

what i found is that support staff often lack confidence to go out and be proactive... more training can be helpful in giving staff confidence to talk to patients and allocating staff PAID training time within store hours can be a great start... try to get them to see it as a part of their job rather than force it upon them.

Comment

Working...
                              X