Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment of overseas Pharmacists into New Pharmacies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruitment of overseas Pharmacists into New Pharmacies!

Does anyone know if the rules prohibiting an employer from recruiting an overseas, RPSGB registered Pharmacist into a branch under 3 years old is under review?

Seems like a strange one to me!

Surely this could be a restriction of working! What do you think?

Re: Recruitment of overseas Pharmacists into New Pharmacies!

As far as i am aware, they can't act as Superintendents nor own a pharmacy , but they can run one , check with the PharmSoc legal dept
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by sterlingcross View Post
      Does anyone know if the rules prohibiting an employer from recruiting an overseas, RPSGB registered Pharmacist into a branch under 3 years old is under review?

Seems like a strange one to me!

Surely this could be a restriction of working! What do you think?
      Don't get me started on this topic again...[sigh]
      Here's an extract from the Health Act 2006, part 3, chapter 2, section 139:

" New section 70(5) sets out a requirement that where pharmacy premises in Great Britain have been registered for less than three years, the responsible pharmacist may not be a pharmacist who is a pharmacist by virtue of section 4A of the Pharmacy Act 1954 (i.e. a pharmacist who is qualified in another EU state whose qualification is recognised in the UK). Article 2(1) of Directive 85/433/EEC provides for Member States to recognise specified diplomas etc awarded by other Member States. Article 2(2) of the Directive, however provides for a derogation under which member States need not give effect to the diplomas with respect to pharmacies open to the public, which have been in operation for less than 3 years. Section 70(5) exercises that derogation in relation to Great Britain."

So you could be born in the UK, from a British mother & father, have full British nationality etc..., but if your degree is from Dublin University, you're stuffed, you still can't be left as sole Phcist in control of a recently-opened pharmacy...
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
        As far as i am aware, they can't act as Superintendents nor own a pharmacy , but they can run one , check with the PharmSoc legal dept
        No, it's the other way round: They can own one, but not run it...
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Sterling Cross--you look like an advert to me.... is this allowed , Admin?

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
            Sterling Cross--you look like an advert to me.... is this allowed , Admin?
            I don't allow ads as you know, but they haven't really put one on have they?

I'll keep an eye on this one and if an ad goes up I'll delete it.....
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
              I don't allow ads as you know, but they haven't really put one on have they?

I'll keep an eye on this one and if an ad goes up I'll delete it.....
              I read the location bit as an advert---just my thoughts.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

My understanding is if you are an overseas pharmacist you cannot work as a sole pharmacist in a location that is under 3 years old!

Surely it would be better to regulate in other ways!

PS No adverts will appear, admin!

Comment

Hello Zoggite,

I was just having a browse through some old threads. It feels good to see that I'm not alone in my frustration regarding the Medicines Act Section on personal control by those qualified in the EU.
                  In the Clinical Pharmacy magazine of this month pg 385 it was mentioned this fantastic piece of law as an outstanding issue in relation to the RP regulations.
                  This is a law which affects me most directly. I have started a Facebook group called European MRPharmS United, we're only a few members though. And I have also written a letter in the PJ about it.
                  Have you got any updates on whether this law is actually under review?
                  It looks like you were quite unhappy about it too. Would you like to join forces? (Can you be bothered?)
                  How do you think I should direct my crussade? Would any MP care?

Comment

Working...
                  X