Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fancy Dress

Hi,

This sounds like a strange one ... but ... if you are working in a retail environment and the non-pharmacist manager decides that one day is going to be a special day and people will have to wear fancy dress or copious amounts of a particular colour, would you as a professional / future professional and a representative of a profession do so and endorse this by conforming or would you stick to business dress??

I personally think that if stores wish to do it then fine, but the professional area should not do so, because people will not take advice from someone dressed as a clown/fairy/pink marshmellow who does not look any different from any other member of staff (therefore not able to distinguish who is trained etc etc)

What do you think??
    wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Re: Fancy Dress

Hm,
    Never had that sort of problem. Usually they wear white coats.
    Think a smiley sticker would be ok.

Comment

I have come across this once. It was when Munster played Biarritz in the Heineken Cup final of 2006. All staff wore red Munster rugby jerseys, and it went down really well..especially as Munster won! (this happened in Limerick city).

I think it's ok if it's in a particular context..and everyone understands why you're doing it..white coats can be a bit intimidating, although the last time I wore one was to intimidate rats in a 4th year pharmacology lab!
      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Worked a rota on Christmas day once and wore a santa hat.
        johnep

Comment

Wore fancy dress when worked for one of the multiples but pharmacy had 2 pharmacists so we tossed a coin as to who stayed professional and who dressed up.

When I was a manager of a small village pharmacy did do fancy dress every year on Christmas Eve but I'd made a Santa Dress and it's as smart as one of the dresses I sometimes wear for work just bright red with a white collar trim.

I agree, I couldn't dress up as a Christmas tree etc and go through an EHC consultation etc.
          Titch

Comment

i'm always happy to dress up for my staff and customers! I spent a very enjoyable 'pink day' at work raising money for cancer research dressed all in pink with a pink wig on my head! Customers responded really well to it and we raised nearly 200 quid.

and xmas week i always put a santa hat on! always brings a smile to my customers faces - that alone can help them feel that i am more approachable...
            “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeah we just had a 'pink' day - but it wasn't for charity, just to get more profits from the 'fantastic' offer we had on this weekend ...

However, I would laugh if saw Titch doing an MUR as a Christmas tree Not sure if it would aid compliance though??
              wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Originally posted by johannes View Post
                Hm,
                Never had that sort of problem. Usually they wear white coats.
                Think a smiley sticker would be ok.
                I wear a white coat if I'm off to the Rocky Horror Show straight after work.
                Can be an uncomfortable working day though.

Jeff

Comment

Jepp,
                  different shops different styles.
                  If working in aseptic units ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                    I wear a white coat if I'm off to the Rocky Horror Show straight after work.
                    Can be an uncomfortable working day though.

Jeff
                    You nearly owed me a new laptop after that one Jeff - visual image I had made me laugh so much laptop started to slide off knee!

Was picturing little old lady wanting advice getting glimpse of what was under white coat......
                    Titch

Comment

There are a few things that you can do to brighten the pharmacy up on festive occasions. We once changed the prescription signing pen for one with a light up santa when you pressed it to the paper.

A box of quality street on the counter goes down well.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

OK as a one off - I once worked in 70s gear and a wig. I put up a mirror ball above the counter - Patients were quite happy about it.

Comment

As I usually resemble a sun-bleached coconut there is little value in getting dressed up further.

Also, doing locums can make fancy dress counterproductive: at Halloween the staff were dressed rather attractively as witches and demons, and I was prevailed upon to allow them to "make me up" with nailpolish, eye-liner etc.

The customers, who had never seen me before, just controlled their smiles well and pretended everything was normal.
                          ....just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                          X