brand vs generic dispensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand vs generic dispensing

a script for mirtazapine 45mg, the patient wanted the BRAND form " zispin or something for that", we refused to make the supply" as there is around 5 pound price difference" and apparently we are not a charity org
    customer took his script to try it somewhere else.

what popped into my mind " did not ask the locum as he is a bit rude, saterday locum only lol" and i prefer to avoid any long conversation with him.
    if we made the patient aware of the 5 pounds price difference, and he agree to pay for the difference, if it possible to make the supply or it depends on the company's SOP and regulations? i.e if we endorse the Rx for the generic product as it says on the script, get paid for the price difference, and supply the brand product.....?

what do you think p'cists?
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Re: brand vs generic dispensing

Originally posted by Ray View Post
    if we made the patient aware of the 5 pounds price difference, and he agree to pay for the difference, if it possible to make the supply or it depends on the company's SOP and regulations? i.e if we endorse the Rx for the generic product as it says on the script, get paid for the price difference, and supply the brand product.....?

what do you think p'cists?
    Not allowed. You are using the NHS script as a part payment for another transaction.

Jeff

Comment

so is it better to refuse to supply the brand he is after?
      even if it was endorsed properly, and we get paid for the generic product?
      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Pt can only have brand if Dr writes on script. We had similar situation where we wanted to supply PI against script for brand, but pt wanted UK marketed product. We did obtain for him as company emphasis on volume.

Some pts now demand a particular brand of generic.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Pt can only have brand if Dr writes on script.
          Does this incude "branded generics", or can an alternative generic brand which you stock be legally substituted?
          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

The patient gets the cheapest bloody thing i have in my dispensary if the Rx is generic (unless there is a difference in bioavailablility eg sodium valproate) - if thats a brand on a deal from the wholesaler then so be it but most of the time its a generic or a 'branded' generic.

At my old place we used to give salamol for salbutamol cfc-free inhalers because the price was better than ventolin. At my new place it's the same price so they have a choice.

If i get a complaint I point out that the NHS reimburses us for the cost of medicines on an FP10 BUT they only pay us the cost of what's written - i'm not willing to lose money just because somone doesn't like the shape of their tablet.

HOWEVER if the patient is being made ill from not having their trusty 10x more expensive brand then i'll normally chase it up at the docs for them to get a branded prescribed & sort it out.

As regards 'top-up' payments for drugs - well this is being discussed at government level in a roundabout sort of way right now - but in my opinion this creates a two-tier health service which goes against the basic principles of the NHS.
            “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
              Does this incude "branded generics", or can an alternative generic brand which you stock be legally substituted?
              'branded generics' are still generics and can be supplied against any generic script. Some GPs however will specify a particular 'branded generic' on a Rx which would then have to be given eg gp writing a script for 'Simvador' or 'Stronazon' .
              “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

We have lots of dispensing Drs and they prescribe brands from Trinity and Discovery which we have to obtain direct from suppliers.
                johnep

Comment

so is it better to refuse to supply the brand he is after?
                  even if it was endorsed properly, and we get paid for the generic product?
                  Depends on the price differential and how much you value you place on prescription and customer numbers.

That would depend on the particular circumstances of the pharmacy.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                    We have lots of dispensing Drs and they prescribe brands from Trinity and Discovery which we have to obtain direct from suppliers.
                    johnep
                    Would they be amenable to you giving any generic make? it would only take one phone call, logged carefully, or better still, an exchange of carefully worded letters, and yu could just get on with doing your job?

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                    Depends on the price differential and how much you value you place on prescription and customer numbers.

Jeff
                    I can't understand why we are not allowed to give the customer whichever brand they want and just charge them the difference in notional retail prices. I think this would sort the problem out very quickly.
                    ....just my opinion

Comment

"I can't understand why we are not allowed to give the customer whichever brand they want and just charge them the difference in notional retail prices. I think this would sort the problem out very quickly"

same here
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
                        'branded generics' are still generics and can be supplied against any generic script. Some GPs however will specify a particular 'branded generic' on a Rx which would then have to be given eg gp writing a script for 'Simvador' or 'Stronazon' .
                        Apologise for the confusion, however my point is that if various local GPs favour different branded generics, and prescribe them as such, must that specific branded product be supplied, or can the pharmacy substitute the brand they stock? If not, surely this could result in a build-up of overstocked brands of the same product, and a potential loss of discount.
                        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

"must that specific branded product be supplied, or can the pharmacy substitute the brand they stock? If not, surely this could result in a build-up of overstocked brands of the same product, and a potential loss of discount"

we supply what script says, we can not substitute a Brand with another Brand.

that's why we do only leave 2-3 packs of the branded products " unless there is high demand for a specific brand" and we order the required brand is Rx specify one of many.
                          Last edited by Rafael; 13, July 2008, 10:40 AM.
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

"I can't understand why we are not allowed to give the customer whichever brand they want and just charge them the difference in notional retail prices. I think this would sort the problem out very quickly"

same here
                            ...And how long would it be before the first patient with a script for a branded medicine tells you "I'm happy to have the generic, just give me the difference in money!"

Or "I've got a script for 28 Losec caps, so just give me 112 omeprazole caps instead!"
                            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

well i know what you mean, but i believe we can simply refuse to give any difference, but on the otherside we will solve a big daily problem from those who ask for brand, prescribed generic, their prescribers are unwilling to put them on brand.
                              plus remmember a lot of them will simply accept the generic if they understand that they need to pay for the difference.

that's how i see the current situation.
                              regards
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X